Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

how to take the stock cd player out

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2007, 08:37 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to take the stock cd player out

I have a 1998 camaro and i bought a i pod interface to hook up the ipod to the auxiliary audio inputs on my factory radio. and i just want to know waht the simplest way to take the factory cd player out so i can hook this mother up.

the thing is called I simple... it is a universal ipod interface
Old 03-04-2007, 08:46 PM
Launching!

1) pull off the trim piece around the center ac vents/ radio/ HVAC controls
2) remove screws holding in radio
3) slide radio out

its pretty easy once you start. you can see everthing that needs to come off to get the deck out.
Old 03-04-2007, 09:02 PM
Teching In

cool just did it. it was nice and simple i will try putting the i simple on tomorrow with my brothers help he understands electrical stuff way more than i do
Old 03-04-2007, 09:25 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

I hate to burst your bubble but it won't work. The factory head unit doesn't have any auxiliary inputs. The only way to do that is to use an adapter that converts the CD changer port on the back of the HU to an auxiliary input. But that only works when the HU is capable of controlling an external CD changer. All cassette HUs could do this but single CD HUs only got that capability at the very end of the 99 model year. The port will be there but it won't work. Your 98 with CD head unit simply isn't compatible unless you've replaced the head unit with one from a later model.