Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Converting over from stock cassette player to stock cd player

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 07:04 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Converting over from stock cassette player to stock cd player

Can this be done with no problems arising? Ive got a 98 T/A with the factory 12 disc cd changer and the cassette player. Im having problems with my cd changer so I cant play cd's. Thats why I want to install a stock gm cd player for my car.
Old 02-08-2007, 07:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just make sure it's from a 99.5 (IIRC) or later, else you won't be able to control the CDC if you decide to fix/replace it.
Old 02-08-2007, 07:12 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What does a 99.5 (IIRC) mean? And I'm not too worried about the cd changer not being compatible with the stock cd player I will purchase. . .I mean if it is, it is, if not, oh well. . .So will it install easily? Just like the cassette unit I got in there right now? and what about the wiring harness, will I have to change it?
Old 02-08-2007, 07:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They changed it mid-year, I think. It should be in one of the stickies. And the wiring harness is the same.
Old 02-09-2007, 07:08 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by 98BADAZZTA
What does a 99.5 (IIRC) mean? And I'm not too worried about the cd changer not being compatible with the stock cd player I will purchase. . .I mean if it is, it is, if not, oh well. . .So will it install easily? Just like the cassette unit I got in there right now? and what about the wiring harness, will I have to change it?
By 99.5 he's refering to the fact that they made a change to the CD head units late in the 99 model year - early 99 models couldn't control the external changer. IIRC is an acronym for If I Remember Correctly.

All of the 98-02 F-body head units will mount and plug in the same. There are differences in features between model years and there are differences between Camaro and Firebird models. There's lots more information in the Monsoon FAQ thread at the top of the forum - I highly recommend you read it.