Register Forgot Password?
Search

Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms

Replacing HU only

Old 04-09-2007, 07:35 PM   #1
Staging Lane

Trader Rating: 0
Default Replacing HU only

Is it possible to replace the stock head unit and still be able to use the factory amp and speakers?
Old 04-09-2007, 07:44 PM   #2
TECH Enthusiast

Trader Rating: 2

Yes I did mine and have had no problems. I used the wire harness from circuit city ( all of the wires are labeled). If tell them what you are using it for they will tell you it won't work, I do not know why they all say that but they are wrong and there plenty of other members that use aftermarket decks with monsoon systems. here are few pics of mine
Attached Images
File Type: jpg small pic 8.jpg (84.1 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg small shot 7.jpg (80.1 KB, 53 views)
1999 Trans Am M6, LS6 intake, OBX SS headers, Magnaflow SS catback, LS7 clutch, Drill mod, lid, Custom tune, Koni w/Strano spings & Strange 12 bolt 4:11.CNC Ported lS6 head, TR224 112lsa cam, underdrive pulley, P&P TB 30# cobra injectors. Tunned by HPFactory.SOLD
2002 Electron Blue Z06, VAspeed custom cam, Kooks Headers, X-pipe, LS7 clutch, Vararam.
tasilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 08:01 PM   #3
TECH Enthusiast

Who has only changed the HU. I was wondering what everyone's opinion is on the improvement with a HU only upgrade? I would like to do the stereo upgrades in steps if I would see an improvement with each step instead of saving and doing it all at once.
Procharger D1SC w/Twin 4.5's, EPS Cam, Lonnies intank dual pumps, SLP subframe connectors, BMR LCA's, LG G2 springs, Koni SA shocks, Kooks LT's, Corsa Catback, CCW 505a's 18x10 front 18x11 in rear, Kumho MX 275 front 295 rear.
02SOMLS1WS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 08:18 PM   #4
Copy & Paste Moderator

Replacing just the headunit is easy... its in the FAQ too:
http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=303776

You need:
* Mounting Kit
* Wiring Harness
* Steering Wheel Control Adapter
Mods: Koni SA, UMI Roto LCA & PHB, Lid, Holly Filter, Strano 35/22 sway, Black Z06 Motorsports 17x9.5, F1 GS-D3 275/40/17, Silver Door Panel & Arm Rest Fabric, Silver Vent Rings, A4 Leather Shift Boot, Hella 90mm Projectors, Pioneer AVIC-D3

2013 Deep Inpact Blue Mustang GT Premium
Mods: Corsa Exhaust, Ford Procal Tune
-- Lighting FAQ - Suspension Issues / FAQ --
VIP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 08:46 PM   #5
Ungrounded Director

Trader Rating: 4

The biggest improvement in sound that you can get doing a partial system change is from changing the head unit. As long as your factory speakers are still in good shape you will get an immediate and noticeable improvement in sound quality from a new head unit.

Please DO NOT send PMs for questions that can be answered in the forums!
WhiteBird00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 08:46 PM   #6
TECH Enthusiast

Mine is a hu only and it sounds great. There is much more control of the sound then the crap eq on the stock deck.
1999 Trans Am M6, LS6 intake, OBX SS headers, Magnaflow SS catback, LS7 clutch, Drill mod, lid, Custom tune, Koni w/Strano spings & Strange 12 bolt 4:11.CNC Ported lS6 head, TR224 112lsa cam, underdrive pulley, P&P TB 30# cobra injectors. Tunned by HPFactory.SOLD
2002 Electron Blue Z06, VAspeed custom cam, Kooks Headers, X-pipe, LS7 clutch, Vararam.
Old 04-09-2007, 09:24 PM   #7
TECH Enthusiast

Another quick question...What does the after market harness support? I may be interested in buying a more high end HU without internal amplifier. I have this type in my other car that has amps for power and like it due to the really clean output signal and no heat from internal amps that are not being used.
Procharger D1SC w/Twin 4.5's, EPS Cam, Lonnies intank dual pumps, SLP subframe connectors, BMR LCA's, LG G2 springs, Koni SA shocks, Kooks LT's, Corsa Catback, CCW 505a's 18x10 front 18x11 in rear, Kumho MX 275 front 295 rear.
Old 04-09-2007, 09:26 PM   #8
Copy & Paste Moderator

You need the internal amp in the headunit for the f-body. The Monsoon amp gets its signal from the headunit's speaker-level output.

The wiring harness adapts the headunit's wires to the car's harness. Its just a connector and color-coded wires.
Mods: Koni SA, UMI Roto LCA & PHB, Lid, Holly Filter, Strano 35/22 sway, Black Z06 Motorsports 17x9.5, F1 GS-D3 275/40/17, Silver Door Panel & Arm Rest Fabric, Silver Vent Rings, A4 Leather Shift Boot, Hella 90mm Projectors, Pioneer AVIC-D3

2013 Deep Inpact Blue Mustang GT Premium
Mods: Corsa Exhaust, Ford Procal Tune
-- Lighting FAQ - Suspension Issues / FAQ --
VIP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 05:43 AM   #9
Staging Lane

Thanks for the help. I was told that inorder to replace the deck I had to replace the speakers also. Which would have meant I would have too buy new speakers and an amp, when there is nothing wrong with the ones I have. My plan is to add a stealth box,amp and headunit and continue to use the factory speakers and amp for highs.

TASilver: Looks good. Thanks for the pics
Old 04-10-2007, 05:56 AM   #10
TECH Enthusiast

No prob. I went through the same thing when all of the sound shops in my area told the same line of BS about having to change all of the speakers. So go ahead with the hu and hidden sub, let us know how it turned out. Oh, and VIP1 is right you have to use a HU with a built in amp so the factory amp will pick up signal.
Old 04-10-2007, 11:44 PM   #11
TECH Fanatic

I know that on the bose cars this isnt true that the amp will work off low level from the headunit. But many wire it off the regular high level inputs but dont know better. I dont know if this is the case with monsoon cars or not but the easyiest way to tell is if your volume **** on ur aftermarket radio is super sensitive like it goes to 30 but at 10 its screamin loud
pentavolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 07:05 AM   #12
Ungrounded Director

Trader Rating: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentavolvo
I know that on the bose cars this isnt true that the amp will work off low level from the headunit. But many wire it off the regular high level inputs but dont know better. I dont know if this is the case with monsoon cars or not but the easyiest way to tell is if your volume **** on ur aftermarket radio is super sensitive like it goes to 30 but at 10 its screamin loud
The older Bose systems are a completely different setup with a special head unit and speakers with individual amps. The Monsoon system is just an ordinary Delco radio with an amp that runs off the speaker-level output. There are no low-level outputs on GM's regular Delco radios.

Please DO NOT send PMs for questions that can be answered in the forums!
WhiteBird00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 08:20 PM   #13
TECH Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
The older Bose systems are a completely different setup with a special head unit and speakers with individual amps. The Monsoon system is just an ordinary Delco radio with an amp that runs off the speaker-level output. There are no low-level outputs on GM's regular Delco radios.
Cool guys thanks for the quick response. I will start looking for a new HU now.

My plans are HU now, next stealth sub box and amp then go from there. If I like that a lot I may not change much else than the stock speakers and continue to use the monsoon amp. I will add an external amp for the rest of the speakers if the monsoon set up doesnt sound that good.

This car is mainly for performance so I dont want too much weight making it any heavier than it already is. If I want to rattle my brains I will drive my old competition car.
Old 04-11-2007, 08:20 PM
LS1Tech
Pontiac Firebird

Paid Advertisement