Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Quick Help. How to tap in to VSS & Reverse for HU install.

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 12:30 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick Help. How to tap in to VSS & Reverse for HU install.

I've searched quite a bit, all I can find is the Camaro's dark green/white wire in the stock harness. But obviously, in my case, that doesnt apply. Naturally, I'd like to be 100% certain before I start chopping and splicing my PCM wires, or any wires for that matter.

So where do I tap in to the VSS and also Reverse to finish up this install? I need the VSS for the GPS and Vehicle Dynamics features, and the reverse for my back up camera.

On a side note, anyone have any creative suggestions for mounting the rear cam? I'm probably going to put a small hole in my license plate and mount it there, so I dont lose my hatch key lock (even tho I've never used it once since buying the car, its just in case, ya never know). But I'm open to ideas.
Old 05-08-2007, 07:30 PM
12 Second Club

No one knows? Cmon now.. lol
Old 05-08-2007, 08:02 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The backup camera indicator wire on my JVC avx1 said to hook into the positive wire on one of the reverse lights. This would make my unit automatically switch to the camera when it detected a signal from the reverse lights coming on. Actually a simple process except for the distance from the HU to the rear taillights. It did come with a ton of wire for this though. Don't know if this is a similar set up or not to what you have??!! Maybe this could work for you??!! As far as the mounting goes I've seen 2 different schools of thought on this...one being the license plate surround which leaves you vulnerable to theft of the camera potentially. The other uses the key hole so that you'd have touse your key FOB to pop the trunk or the interior release. I really don't like either option in this case. Good luck!!
Old 05-08-2007, 10:01 PM
12 Second Club

Thanks, we figured out the reverse connection, but havent tested it yet. Sure it will work. We did the same thing with the reverse lights like you. Not sure where to mount it tho. I'm probably going to just bite the bullet and put it in the keyhole, I'm just not sure how to remove the locking mechanism and how to mount the camera there for that matter, but I'll figure that out.

As for the VSS, still not a clue. Any help?

I've got to take care of the VSS, rear cam, sirius antenna under the windshield cowl, and find out why my new 4 channel alpine amp isnt working and is blowing fuses... Wont even go on. Then finish it all up with a new amp rack. Once thats all done, I'll put the interior all back together and snap some shots.
Old 05-09-2007, 07:38 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

There are several places you can get the VSS wire but the only convenient place for a head unit is at the instrument cluster (the others are in the engine compartment). The wire is always dark green with white. You can find it in the large inline connector in the instrument panel harness under the left side of the dash between the steering column and the left kick panel. One side of the connector is a single 48-pin black connector. There are three separate smaller connectors plugged into it - a single row 17-pin connector and a single row 13-pin connector on the outside edges and a three row, 18-pin connector in the middle. The dark green with white VSS wire is in the first position of the 17-pin connector.
Old 05-10-2007, 09:19 AM
12 Second Club

Thanks, sorry for the delay in response. Been trying to find a new amp, so I havent been able to get everything back together. I gotta send this one out to get fixed. This SUUX lol.

Quick Reply: Quick Help. How to tap in to VSS & Reverse for HU install.