Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

new problem, need opinions please

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 01:08 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new problem, need opinions please

the car is a 99 ta, so here it is. when you lock the doors and get out and close them instead of park lights flashing like normal, the headlights open, then close, then make a grinding sound for a couple secs then it stops. also when you turn the light switch to park lights the head lights go up but not on, then when you turn back off the lights go back down and make the noise again.
im thinking the switch or alarm or a relay if any that is tied into all. the lights move easily and smoothing up and down so i dont think there is a motor prob. what is it???? any help will be appreciated. thanks, matt
Old 06-06-2007, 07:40 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Believe it or not, it is a headlight motor problem. That is a common symptom of damaged headlight motor gears. You should normally be hearing a grinding noise or at least a loud squeaking but even if you don't you can be sure it's the motors.
Old 06-06-2007, 04:18 PM
Teching In

so what is making the power get sent to the headlight motor instead of the park lights???? and why do they seem to open close without any struggle or hesitation? this is strange to me i just dont understand how the switch is opening the head lights instead of turning on the park lights and in the alarm sequence also. how are the headlights tied into the park lights and alarm and how can i be sure that is the problem. i dont want to buy a new motor without knowing for sure. thanks, matt

Last edited by stangstompr; 06-06-2007 at 04:20 PM. Reason: typo
Old 06-06-2007, 04:51 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

The Headlamp Opening Door Actuator Control Module is essentially a solid state module containing two DPDT relays that reverse polarity to the headlight motors to make them either open or close. It is tied into both the headlight and the parking light output of the headlight switch so that it can control when the headlight doors open or close.

The module checks that the headlights are closed whenever the parking lights are initially turned on. It determines if the headlight doors are closed by the amount of resistance from the motors when the relay flips to the closed position. When the gears are stripped the module doesn't read the correct resistance so it flip-flops the relays causing the doors to open then close.

The headlights are only tied to the alarm if you have your alarm programmed to flash the parking lights when arming or disarming. It's the flashing of the parking lights that causes the headlights to open and close - not the alarm itself.
Old 06-06-2007, 08:29 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/pontiac-firebird-1967-2002/177470-firebird-headlights-all-comments-questions-regarding-headlights-go-here.html
Old 06-09-2007, 04:28 PM
Teching In

thank you very helpful info. matt