Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

what do i need for the trunk release?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 04:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default what do i need for the trunk release?

my car didnt come with a trunk release and its a PITA to use the key all the time.what would i need besides obviously the button to have this option? thanks
Old 06-12-2007, 08:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

ttt please
Old 06-12-2007, 04:19 PM
Staging Lane

I didn't know that they could come w/ out one.. ??
Old 06-12-2007, 04:23 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 408Maro
my car didnt come with a trunk release and its a PITA to use the key all the time.what would i need besides obviously the button to have this option? thanks
I know what you mean. Since Best Buy doesn't know how to install alarms I have to use my key every time too.
Old 06-12-2007, 07:25 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

You need the switch (of course), the proper BCM, the hatch release relay, the release mechanism for the latch, and the wiring. Your BCM already has the proper circuitry since there were only two different ones - with or without the optional alarm. As near as I can tell, you should also already have the hatch release relay because it's listed on all models regardless of option codes. The wiring may or may not be there. Have a look to see if there is an unused connector near the latch. It will be a 2-pin connector with a black and a black with white wire.

So, all you should really need is the switch and the release mechanism. Also, if you want the factory switch in the original location, you'll need to replace the knee bolster panel under the steering column to have the proper mount. However, it's just an ordinary momentary push button switch so there's no reason you couldn't use a different one. Check for the connector under there as well - again, it has a black and a black with white wire.
Old 06-12-2007, 07:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

yea i noticed that i had the connecter for it when i took off my lower panel but my car didnt come with no options now power locks windows cruise control or nothing but the wiring is there so i can just get a switch and plug and play? thanks
Old 06-12-2007, 11:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i got the switch/ mechanism setup if you need one fairly new was on a low mileage car can send you picks if you like just pm me about it thanks ........
Old 06-13-2007, 06:55 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by 408Maro
yea i noticed that i had the connecter for it when i took off my lower panel but my car didnt come with no options now power locks windows cruise control or nothing but the wiring is there so i can just get a switch and plug and play? thanks
You also need the electric latch at the back. There were two different latch mechanisms available - the manual one and the electric one. You won't have anything to plug the connector into on your current manual latch.