Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

tachometer power/lighting wiring, something doesnt make sense

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2007, 08:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default tachometer power/lighting wiring, something doesnt make sense

i just bought a iequus 8000rpm tachometer.

there are 3 wires. one black, one red and one white

red is ign. switch on pwr
black is ground
and white what you connect to your light switch(to turn on backlights of tach.)

when black and red are hooked up the tach. works. then once you put connect the white wire nothing happens(lights dont go on). if you disconnect the black wire while the white is getting power then the lights go on but the tach doesnt work

also, if the red is getting pwr and you connect the white to a ground the lights go on. tach wont work if the black isnt connect, but if the black is connected the lights wont work

any suggestions?
Old 06-18-2007, 07:14 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

There must be more than three wires or you have the wrong information on where they go because you don't have a tach signal wire in your list.

Assuming that there is a fourth wire you didn't mention, I would suspect your ground. Did you splice the black wire into another wire for ground? Try running it to a chassis ground such as the stud behind the left kick panel.
Old 06-18-2007, 07:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
There must be more than three wires or you have the wrong information on where they go because you don't have a tach signal wire in your list.

Assuming that there is a fourth wire you didn't mention, I would suspect your ground. Did you splice the black wire into another wire for ground? Try running it to a chassis ground such as the stud behind the left kick panel.

well yea, there is a green wire that goes to the signal. i dont have that connected yet- im just trying to get the lights to work. the black is grounded straight to the chassis

do you think the green(tach signal) must be connected in order for the backlight to function?
Old 06-18-2007, 07:38 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

No, the signal wire shouldn't need to be connected to get the light working. Where did you connect the other two wires (red and white)?
Old 06-18-2007, 11:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

No, the signal wire shouldn't need to be connected to get the light working. Where did you connect the other two wires (red and white)?

red is going to ign. on pwr(i check the source with a voltmeter, its getting 12v) and the wire is connected to my lights, when the black wire isnt connected the lights go on and when the black is connected they go off
Old 06-18-2007, 01:48 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Did you test the wire you used for the lights? I have seen situations where the wire used provided ground when lights were off but power when they were on. Try using your meter to check for power on the selected wire only when the lights are on.

Also, you could test the setup by connecting the white wire to an ignition power source. This should make the light stay on whenever the ignition is on. That would tell you if there's something wrong with the tach itself.
Old 06-19-2007, 12:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Did you test the wire you used for the lights? I have seen situations where the wire used provided ground when lights were off but power when they were on. Try using your meter to check for power on the selected wire only when the lights are on.

Also, you could test the setup by connecting the white wire to an ignition power source. This should make the light stay on whenever the ignition is on. That would tell you if there's something wrong with the tach itself.
yea ive already put voltage from a different source to the white wire, the lights will go stay on until i connect the black ground

im guessing my tach is prob. fried on the inside some where