Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

monsoon conversion

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 11:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default monsoon conversion

my brother wants to put a monsoon in his 30th, what does this require? thanks alot, sorry if this is asked alot
Old 06-19-2007, 07:12 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by 98hardtopSS
my brother wants to put a monsoon in his 30th, what does this require? thanks alot, sorry if this is asked alot
Actually, it's not asked very often because most around here can't imagine why anyone would want to do that. The Monsoon system is not bad for factory installed and can be improved fairly easily but it certainly isn't good enough to be worth installing in a car that didn't have it.

The head unit is just an ordinary Delco unit so he could keep the factory one he has. He'd need a Monsoon amp, the special speakers (mix of 2-ohm and 4-ohm components), and a bunch of wiring. Everything except the wiring should be available fairly cheaply in the parts for sale forum because so many people rip them out and upgrade to aftermarket equipment. The wiring shouldn't be too difficult except that he may have trouble finding the connector that plugs into the amp. All the pin-outs are listed in the Monsoon FAQ sticky at the top of the forum.
Old 06-19-2007, 07:44 AM
((((((Administrator))))))

Go outside, aim against the wind, and proceed to urinate.

The Monsoon is a huge steaming pile of poo!

Peace,
Craig.
Old 06-19-2007, 03:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

whats wrong with the monsoon? I have it and I think it sounds good. Better than the Bose I heard in a Camaro.
Old 06-19-2007, 03:44 PM
TECH Addict

Lol, now ive seen it all, dont waste any time, money, and energy putting in the monsoon system, its complete crap compared with any aftermarket system out there.
Old 06-19-2007, 07:40 PM
On The Tree

I am totally bypassing my monsoon system. I am keeping the factory stereo but will use an active 3 way crossover. Then using a 4 channel amp for the highs and mids and then another amp for the midbass and then adding a 10" powered sub. Use components in the doors and in the hatch. Use quality 6.5" midbass for the sails. Trust me, If he is looking to add a completely new system, he needs to spend his money and time on a quality sounding system. It will by far outperform the Monsoon system.
Old 06-20-2007, 06:57 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Keeping the factory head unit is your biggest mistake. The Delco HU is the source of all evil as far as the Monsoon system is concerned with the amount of distortion it pumps out.
Old 06-20-2007, 09:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

agreed the HU sucks, but I don't think the speakers are too bad.

Is there ANY way to make the changer work with say....an Alpine HU
Old 06-20-2007, 09:35 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by SchultzLT1
agreed the HU sucks, but I don't think the speakers are too bad.

Is there ANY way to make the changer work with say....an Alpine HU
No. There used to be adapters available to make the factory changer work with Kenwood HUs but they have been discontinued for a long time. You can't even make it work with a Pioneer HU even though the changer was made by Pioneer.