Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

XM External Input

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 09:50 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default XM External Input

I have the standard Monsoon CD head unit and also am running the XM radio. I currently use the RF modulator, but I keep having to switch stations as I drive due to interference. Has anyone here been successful in wiring an external jack to hardwire an accessory line a XM or iPod?
Old 06-20-2007, 07:49 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Start with the Monsoon FAQ sticky. There are several ways to do it - all of which have been discussed countless times.
Old 06-20-2007, 07:42 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Unfortunately, the 1998 Monsoon CD Headunit cannot control the factory external CD-Changer, otherwise you can convert that port toi RCA-IN using a GM9-AUX like I did on my 2001.

http://www.fadingarrow.com/XMSatelliteRadio.htm
Old 06-20-2007, 07:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

- as far as aux inputs, search posts by member 'Jason Novak'.
Old 06-20-2007, 11:14 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Originally Posted by fredmr39
- as far as aux inputs, search posts by member 'Jason Novak'.
You can also search for posts by WhiteBird00 and me and find the same information that I posted above.
Old 06-21-2007, 07:51 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

I missed that it was a 98. Since you can't use the CD changer port adapters on a 98 CD head unit, the simplest and least expensive alternative is to replace the wireless FM modulator with a wired one. They install inline in the antenna lead and connect to the audio/headphone port on the satellite radio tuner. The advantage is that they electronically disconnect the head unit from the AM/FM antenna when the satellite radio is in use (and reconnect it when the satellite radio is off). That eliminates all the interference from broadcast stations in the area. And, because it is a direct connection into the antenna, it also eliminates the fading that is common with wireless modulators. Sound quality will be equivalent to that of a strong local FM station so it's not the same as CD but it's quite good and pretty inexpensive.
Old 06-21-2007, 08:52 PM
TECH Resident

[QUOTE=WhiteBird00]I missed that it was a 98. Since you can't use the CD changer port adapters on a 98 CD head unit, the simplest and least expensive alternative is to replace the wireless FM modulator with a wired one. QUOTE]
Sounds like great advice! This will be my next task. Thanks for all of the replys.
Old 06-22-2007, 12:58 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
I missed that it was a 98. Since you can't use the CD changer port adapters on a 98 CD head unit, the simplest and least expensive alternative is to replace the wireless FM modulator with a wired one. They install inline in the antenna lead and connect to the audio/headphone port on the satellite radio tuner. The advantage is that they electronically disconnect the head unit from the AM/FM antenna when the satellite radio is in use (and reconnect it when the satellite radio is off). That eliminates all the interference from broadcast stations in the area. And, because it is a direct connection into the antenna, it also eliminates the fading that is common with wireless modulators. Sound quality will be equivalent to that of a strong local FM station so it's not the same as CD but it's quite good and pretty inexpensive.
I can tell you from experience that a wired FM transmitter is only a marginal improvement over a wireless FM transmitter and nowhere near the quality of an AUX input solution. You'll still end up having to jump stations on occasion and you'll still get static on occasion. There were certain areas that I drove (not far from my normal route) where I would routinely get increased static and had to change stations. Thats why I have the GM9-AUX. Unfortunately the 1998 Monsson CD headunit cannot use it. You're best bet is to either get a 2001+ CD headunit to use the GM9-AUX, or better yet, get an aftermaket headunit with RCA AUX-IN.

Only headunits that could control the factory CD-Changer will work with the GM9-AUX:
1998-2002 Cassette
mid99-2002 CD (best bet is 2001-2002 CD since they supposedly can handle two AUX devices and no one knows exactly when in mid99 the change for the CD headunit to control the CD Changer happened-- the only way to tell in the mid99 is to disassemble it and check the P/N stamped on the CD player's circuit board)

Last edited by VIP1; 06-22-2007 at 01:05 AM.
Old 06-22-2007, 07:09 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by VIP1
I can tell you from experience that a wired FM transmitter is only a marginal improvement over a wireless FM transmitter and nowhere near the quality of an AUX input solution. You'll still end up having to jump stations on occasion and you'll still get static on occasion. There were certain areas that I drove (not far from my normal route) where I would routinely get increased static and had to change stations.
Yup...I've experienced that as well but it seems to be related to the quality and design of the wired modulator. I've used several of them on my bike. Some seem to connect into the antenna lead but don't cut off the connection to the original AM/FM antenna - these hardly work better than wireless. Others are more like a relay - as long as you don't pick a frequency used by the strongest local stations (that come through even without an antenna) they work great. Believe it or not, one of the best was the XM one they sold to go with the original Roady. You could even use the frequency of a moderately strong local station and as soon as you switched on the Roady the local station would cut off like it wasn't even there.
Old 06-23-2007, 08:10 PM
TECH Resident

Any make or model number recommendations for a direct wired system?