Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

amp install kit

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 12:10 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default amp install kit

well i have 2 amps that i want to connect, and i cant seem to find a amp install kit that fits my needs. i have a 4 channel amp pushing 60rmsx4, and im bridging my 2 channel for 150rmsx1 for both of my subs. I also have a capacitor that i want to use too. I am leaning more towards the Phoenix Gold AKIT 42 kit. BTW Can I use the 4 guage power wire as ground wire too? Because most kits only come with like 2 feet and I dont think thats going to be enough.
Old 06-30-2007, 01:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just pick up a 4 guage kit and some extra rca's and you will be fine. Get a distribution block and split it into 8 ga to the amps once you get into the hatch or split it at the capacitor whatever works better for you. Also you can ground each amp with its own individual 8ga
Old 06-30-2007, 01:47 PM
TECH Resident

is there like a certain type of ground wire? Or would a 8 gauge power wire work the same? Also where the hell can i get a 8 gauge wire?
Old 06-30-2007, 01:54 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by fortmyerspolice
is there like a certain type of ground wire? Or would a 8 gauge power wire work the same? Also where the hell can i get a 8 gauge wire?
Can you find a dual 4 gauge kit on ebay or something? That should have everything you need. Kicker makes a really nice one with super flexible wires. You also want to make sure your ground and power cables are the same size if you decide to piece together a kit.

This is the one I like, but its a bit pricey. http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...icker+PK4.html

Last edited by Keyboard Ninja; 06-30-2007 at 02:09 PM.
Old 07-01-2007, 04:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

www.partsexpress.com is a decent place for standalone wiring. Generally, I buy separate parts rather than a full kit, because it's hard to find a kit that fits exactly what you need.

I usually:
- Get a circuit breaker from ebay - worth it if you need 80 amps or more fusing because those fuses are expensive and hard to find.
- Get 8 gauge power wire for hot/ground use from partsexpress.
- Get RCA's from partsexpress.
- Use speaker wire for amp-turn on.
- Misc. stuff like spades, distribution block, battery terminals come from partsexpress also.

Don't pay retail, BB & such are way too expensive for wiring. Ebay is cheap of course, but some of the stuff is really low quality (very stiff insulation, not very durable, which is not good). So it is ok if you know what you are buying, but the no-brand stuff can be pretty bad.

Those aren't very large amps and while most people would recommend 4 gauge, imho 8 gauge would work fine. Just take care to fuse it properly.

Also, if you are in a hurry, be careful with sonix. They are drop-shippers, their online stock tracking means jack. There are better cheap online vendors out there like Sounddomain.
Old 07-01-2007, 10:47 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

is there like a certain type of ground wire? Or would a 8 gauge power wire work the same?
They are very different - power wire is made from metal strands with vinyl insulation, ground wire is made from bamboo fibers with eggroll insulation.
Old 07-01-2007, 10:48 AM
TECH Resident

can't find a ground wire at partsexpress
Old 07-01-2007, 11:02 AM
Teching In

can't find a ground wire at partsexpress
Ground wire is just a name. Its normally wire colored in something other than red. I'm assuming you are looking for "ground wire" specifically. I also hope you aren't looking for bamboo either.
Old 07-01-2007, 11:03 AM
TECH Resident

So pretty much the standard 4 gauge wire can be a ground wire too? If thats the case I'm going to need more.
Old 07-01-2007, 11:15 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Seriously - wire is wire. You can use any wire of the proper size for any purpose - power, ground, or signal. The red or black insulation is merely for the convenience of being able to tell at a glance what an installed wire does.

There are differences in the construction and materials of wires. For example, the more individual strands in a wire, the more flexible and the less resistance. Certain types of insulation are better for certain conditions - flexibilty, weather resistance, heat resistance, etc.

Ground wires should be as short as possible. They certainly don't have to go back to the power source alongside the power wire. Find a good spot on the chassis or body that's as close to the amp as possible and ground there.
Old 07-01-2007, 11:16 AM
TECH Resident

that brings up another question. you know those 4 screws that hold the t-top plastic things in? Can you use those as a ground?