Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

02 camaro headlight switch???

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2007, 08:36 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 camaro headlight switch???

well on an 02 camaro my dad and i just bought. the headlight switch activates as follows:...

pointed far left: nothing goes on
pointed middle: day time running lights
pointed far right: headlights come on

my question is. isn't the headlights supposed to come on automaticlly when the switch is set far left? i have played around at night with the switch and its the same as what i stated. do you think the dash sensor is spliced into for thinking its daylight? i want to be sure before i take the dash apart.

thanks,
nick
Old 06-30-2007, 09:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

somebody prolly unhooked the sensor so that it only comes on only when you want it to come on.. ive been thinkin about doing this for when i stalk women , but i like not having to remember to turn them on or off...
Old 06-30-2007, 09:37 PM
On The Tree

thanks for the input
Old 06-30-2007, 09:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

i believe you can easily access the sensor through the radio opening.. the most common way to disabling the auto headlights is to cut the blue wire attached to the sensor (going off of what ive read).. i would take out the radio, see if the wire has been cut and go from there...

as long as the headlights work when you want them to i wouldn't worry about it to much.. but thats just me
Old 06-30-2007, 10:44 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Simply removing the sensor or cutting the wires going to it will make the system think its always night time which will lead to the lights always being on. To make the system think its always day time, which would disable the auto-lights, you need to splice the wires together. One way to do that is with a scotch block across the two wires at the sensor. Or you can remove the sensor and connect together the two wires that went to it.

Last edited by VIP1; 07-01-2007 at 07:14 PM.
Old 06-30-2007, 10:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

^^^he would know more then i would^^^
Old 07-02-2007, 01:51 AM
On The Tree

the previous owner disconnected a blue connector behind the radio. i connected it back and got my auto headlights back.

thanks,
nick
Old 07-02-2007, 04:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by nickx07
the previous owner disconnected a blue connector behind the radio. i connected it back and got my auto headlights back.

thanks,
nick
score
Old 07-02-2007, 08:18 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Originally Posted by presto_z
score
I'll copy and paste WhiteBird00's response from the other thread:
Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Disconnecting the blue plug from the DRL module is not a good idea - it's the lazy man's way of disabling automatic headlights but it has undesirable side effects. The blue plug also has the brake warning light signal wire and the parking brake signal wire. Unplugging it will mean that you have no warning if something goes wrong with your service brakes or if you leave the parking brake on. Also, manual transmission owners will be unable to use the remote hatch release because it depends on the parking brake being set.

It doesn't take any longer to lift up the dash panel than it does to remove the trim and radio. If you have t-tops, remove the windshield pillar trim by taking out the screws at the top and then snapping them off. Then just lift the dash panel - it's held down by clips and velcro. You don't have to remove it - just lift it enough to get your hand in to the sensor wires. If you don't have t-tops it's even easier because the windshield pillar trim just snaps off. A paperclip is a bad idea but a ScotchLock connector is easy to use and can be removed just as easily if you want to restore the aumatic headlight function. Connecting the sensor wires disables the automatic headlights without any side effects - in fact, that's exactly how the Firebird system is setup (with a jumper between the sensor wires from the factory).
And here is my addition:
Originally Posted by VIP1
Unless you have a Canadian Firebird.
They have auto-lights.

Here is the thread in question:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/wiring-stereo-electronics/741252-automatic-headlights.html
Old 07-02-2007, 09:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

nickx07 was trying to put it back to stock, so i told him what the most common was of disabling it (making it not stock) was.. he checked and it was just as i said so he fixed it...

he hooked it back up so now its fixed.. why the link to the other thread??
Old 07-02-2007, 10:52 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Originally Posted by presto_z
nickx07 was trying to put it back to stock, so i told him what the most common was of disabling it (making it not stock) was.. he checked and it was just as i said so he fixed it...

he hooked it back up so now its fixed.. why the link to the other thread??
More detail on the topic.
And nickx07 mentioned his situation in that thread.