Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Bose radio or not??

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 10:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Bose radio or not??

My 94 originally came with a Bose cassette player and sounded fine fine for me but I wanted the factory CD so I found one at a salvage yard that was in excellent condition but ever since I installed it it doesn't sound good at all. All the volume is coming from the driver's door and very little from the passenger. And after half way on the volume control there is no more power so is this really a Bose?? I took it back out to get the #s on the bottom and all it says is MODEL 16181181, SERIAL 3102776 and in big letters CDM no where does it say Bose??? Can anyone clarify this?
Old 07-15-2007, 12:07 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

From what car (Make, Model, Year) did you get the CD player? Usually BOSE equipment says BOSE on the front. You probably got a later Monsoon, or an earlier standard headunit. Do you have pics? How did you install it? Was it a plug-and-play or did you do some splicing?
Old 07-15-2007, 12:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It was also from a Camaro either 94 or 95 and it's not a Monsoon. No splicing just plugged it in. This does not say Bose on the front and others I've seen do??? Could this be why it sounds so weird?? Do you think I hurt the factory speakers by running this head unit for awhile? What do think would sound better, get a Bose unit or use different speakers for this non Bose unit? I don't and can't afford a better unit.
Old 07-15-2007, 10:08 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

The Bose setup is different than other setups. The headunit sends special signals to speakers with individual amps. The headunit you found may be a standard heaunit. I don't know if you have caused any damage. I'd suggest that you re-install the original headunit to see if normal operation returns.