Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Amp wiring help...

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 12:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Amp wiring help...

I'm looking for help on how to wire up my amp for my Subthump Stealth box w/ 10" Alpine Type R-2ohm (1022D), the amp is an old school Precision Power amp that I have had forever, it ran 2 12s real well for me in the past. The amp is a 2 channel, 4 ohm load.

First off, is the sub I have & the amp going to work together?

2nd, if it will work, can anyone tell me how to wire the amp?

I just don't want to take my car & drop it off to have the amp wired. If I can't figure it out, I'll scrap the idea of putting the sub in my car.

(I could buy a new amp, if my PPI will absolutelky not work.)

Thanks!
Jason
Old 07-17-2007, 01:08 AM
TECH Regular

wire the sub in parallel, so it will sit at 4 ohms; then bridge it on the amp and you will be set to go
Old 07-17-2007, 10:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bmnicolosi
wire the sub in parallel, so it will sit at 4 ohms; then bridge it on the amp and you will be set to go

Thanks! Any diagrams for what the wiring will look like?
Old 07-17-2007, 03:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

No, you want to wire them in series. Parallel would give you a one ohm load. Series would give you a 4 ohm load. You would wire the positive from the amplifier to the positive on a sub, then take a wire from the negative of that sub to the positive of the second sub, and then the negative of the second sub to the negative on your amp.

I was just thinking about this some more, your amp probably isn't stable at 4 ohms if it's bridged, so that might be a problem...I'm a little busy right now, I'll post back later.
Old 07-17-2007, 04:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks, I'll be running 1 sub.
Old 07-17-2007, 04:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Alright, I got that a little mixed up, but it's a dual voice coil sub, right? If so, it's still the same. Run the positive on the amp to a positive on the sub, then the negative (next to that positive on the sub) to the other positive, and then the other negative to the negative on the amp.

The problem though is even that is still only a 4 ohm load, and your amplifier probably can't handle a bridged (as in the positive of one terminal on the amp and the negative of the other terminal to power the one sub) 4 ohm load, if it can even handle a bridged mono setup at all. I don't know if you can find out anything else about the amp or not, but the only way I can see doing it is to wire it up in series to either the left or right channel of the amp. It wouldn't be getting all of the power, but I don't see any other way to do it.
Old 07-17-2007, 05:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 87formy
Alright, I got that a little mixed up, but it's a dual voice coil sub, right? If so, it's still the same. Run the positive on the amp to a positive on the sub, then the negative (next to that positive on the sub) to the other positive, and then the other negative to the negative on the amp.

The problem though is even that is still only a 4 ohm load, and your amplifier probably can't handle a bridged (as in the positive of one terminal on the amp and the negative of the other terminal to power the one sub) 4 ohm load, if it can even handle a bridged mono setup at all. I don't know if you can find out anything else about the amp or not, but the only way I can see doing it is to wire it up in series to either the left or right channel of the amp. It wouldn't be getting all of the power, but I don't see any other way to do it.
Cool, the sub already has the wiring connected the way it needs to be, I bought the box & sub used, so the previous owner had it all put together.

My amp plug as 2 green, 2 grey & a blue wire. (left & right & remote on?) There is a right & left input for RCA cables. What hooks to what? Sorry for the complete NEWB questions!

Old 07-17-2007, 05:07 PM
TECH Addict

Post up what model PPI amp it is. It will help alot more as far as wiring it up.
Old 07-17-2007, 05:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by shouldaboughttheZ
Post up what model PPI amp it is. It will help alot more as far as wiring it up.
Here is the model # & specs... It is well over 10 years old!
PPI-2050AM
2x50 WRMS
100 Watts @ .02% THD
4 ohm load-12 volts DC
Old 07-17-2007, 05:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

It's looking good. Right now all I see is an ebay ad, but if it's accurate you can get 400 watts rms in a bridged mono application! Let me see if I can verify that.
Old 07-17-2007, 07:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

This is it, mine is not the art series...

http://ampguts.realmofexcursion.com/PPI_2050AM/
Old 07-17-2007, 07:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Unstang
Cool, the sub already has the wiring connected the way it needs to be, I bought the box & sub used, so the previous owner had it all put together.

My amp plug as 2 green, 2 grey & a blue wire. (left & right & remote on?) There is a right & left input for RCA cables. What hooks to what? Sorry for the complete NEWB questions!

I can't say for sure, but they might be high level imputs, so that you can run speaker wire from your head unit to your amp. There should only be one remote on which I would think the blue wire is. You want to wire it up the way I said earlier, except you want the positive wire going to one channel on the amp and the negative on the other channel. The amp should be in mono mode (if it has it, I can't see anything in the pictures) and you'll be getting 200 watts rms.
Old 07-18-2007, 05:16 PM
TECH Addict

Just make sure you sub is 4ohm. That amp specs does not say anything about 2ohm mono.
Old 07-18-2007, 07:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

^^I just looked up that sub, I was thinking it was a dual 2 voice coil, but it's a dual 4 I guess and can only be wired up in 4 or 8 ohms... I say screw that amp and get a mono amp that's stable at 2 ohms.
Old 07-18-2007, 07:51 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's a helpful tool when it comes to wiring subs if you don't know how to do it and what load you will have:
http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/rftech/woofer_wizard.asp
Just select the amount of woofers, impedance, and it will show you most of what you need to know.
Here's another one through Crutchfield as well. This is a little more indepth showing different amp configurations as well!!
http://www.crutchfield.com/ISEO-rgbt...rs_wiring.html