Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

going to buy some pyramids....

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 07:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default going to buy some pyramids....

I cant find a decent 6.5" sub anywhere. I looked in the stickies. a guy used a rockford that has since vanished off the face of the earth. Are these cheapie subs my only choice? I have blown every speaker in the car pretty much. I plan on putting Infinity Kappas in the doors.

the other option is the put infinities in the doors, as well as another set of the infinity woofers in the side panel. then put the tweeters back in the hatch. but doing this Id have to ghetto rig the wires and bring them foreward from the rear speakers. I have no need for the rears anymore. I took them out for easy access to my bottle

which route would u guys go?
Old 07-17-2007, 10:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try JL audio 6.5" sub or Elemental design 6.5" sub.
Old 07-23-2007, 11:34 AM
TECH Regular

I have some links to some audio sites. pm me b/c they aren't sponsers though.
Old 07-24-2007, 11:53 AM
Teching In

Kicker also makes a 6.5" mid-bass woofer model number is ssmb6...I have no clue about their quality but I would assume they are better than the pyramids. I have also heard that the ED 6.5's are pretty sweet. Let us know which one you go w/ and how they sound...I am interested to see.
Old 07-24-2007, 07:02 PM
TECH Resident

theres no point of changing outthe speakers if ur goign to install pyramids. Those are probably the worst brand ever made. They are worse than jensen and PHASE linear. U can prolly buy a set for less than 10$ shipped from ebay. Ive installed some equipment from pyramid and let me tell you, Keep the blown speakers instead of spending money on that brand.

Infinities are OK, a little too bright. Go for a set of polk DB's, they are overall a great speaker, amplified or not.
Old 08-04-2007, 09:55 AM
On The Tree

well, KEE AUDIO hooked me up with some MA Audio 6.5" svc subs.

since hes a sponsor now im assuming its cool to advertise for him right? eh, someone will delete otherwise....

but let me tell you, the difference is like night and day. I cant even believe the difference it made, and i hadnt even broken them in yet. It may just be because I was used to 2 cracked DUAL 6.5" 3 ways and 3 factory tweeters with 1 blown factory tweeter.... but these things hit hard for being little subs like they are.

KEE AUDIO himself was great to work with too. he researched everything for me from my different options to fitment and even after I bought he kept in touch and helped me with some wiring issues. Im definitly happy that I went this route over the pyramids (in fact the point of the thread was to get someone to stop me )

one thing with these subs that couldnt really be avoided, they are almost the same screw pattern as the stockers.... almost. I ended up using some self tapping screws and just making new holes. no bid deal. thats actually the only issue I had.

I also went with the infinity kappa 6.5 component system. this thing is kinda irritating to wire, but it sounds great, especially with all the new found bass. hiding the crossover was the only issue. however, on the door panel itself there is plenty of room behind the foam for this. you will need to run wires the length of the door, but its not hard to run them out of the way and then feed them in behind the speaker. I used adhesive backed velcro to stick it in there.
Old 08-04-2007, 12:17 PM
TECH Resident

yeah ive got a few new sets of some ID (image dynamics) midbass drivers for sale at a good price. they are 4 ohm single voice coil. Im selling them for 100$ shipped per set, they normally sell for 189$ i think. Ask around the real audio gurus will tell you that they are good speakers, they weigh like 5 lbs each.

but like i said Polks are nice speakers to go with too.