Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

stereo stays on when car is off

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 10:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Default stereo stays on when car is off

This is a very annoying problem. My radio stays on when I turn the car off, even after I open the door. Nothing else works: ie. no window motors. I'm guess it might be the REM wire but I didn't think it could just go bad. Its been doing this for over a year now and I kinda wanna get it fixed lol. I searched and found a VIP's post about the doorswitch possibly being bad but I don't think thats it since the windows don't work.

any help is appreciated.

Last edited by Pretyflywiteguy; 01-05-2009 at 11:35 PM.
Old 07-19-2007, 12:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like your RAP module is going do the windows continue to work as well?
Old 07-19-2007, 08:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pentavolvo
sounds like your RAP module is going do the windows continue to work as well?
I'm assuming he meant after he opens the door the windows don't work (because he said "nothing else works")...which is correct, but the radio stays on..... right?

Have you looked over your batt/accy power wires on the HU to make sure you don't have it getting constant 12V? Or is this problem just recent? The fact that you can turn the motor over fast and it goes off wouldn't be possible if this were the case though..

Last edited by fredmr39; 07-19-2007 at 08:29 AM.
Old 07-19-2007, 11:52 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It sounds to me like the stereo is still drawing off the unswitched 12v line even after the accy line turns off. I know my P880PRS will do this for a very brief time when I'm starting the car (I know the switched power is dropping down because my hard wired radar detector shuts off). So I can see a HU using the unswitched power for brief spurts, but it sounds like some logic inside the HU fried and it's trying to use that unswitched line all the time.

Do you have a warranty on the HU?
Old 07-19-2007, 12:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah its recent, just started yesterday when i was getting out at the gas station.
It's wired how its supposed to be. I used a harness adapter to install so i didn't cross any wires up. Its worked fine since i had the camaro and then swapped it over to this car until yesterday.

No warranty.. :/ its like 3 years old. I plan on getting a newer one though in the near future.
Old 07-19-2007, 12:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so i assume when u open the doors with the key out the windows stop working like they are supposed to. i would still get a volt meter and check behind the headunti to make sure the switched lead is actually turned off, it could be a RAp module problem
Old 01-05-2009, 11:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

bump,

It turns off if I press the window switch

Quick Reply: stereo stays on when car is off