Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Amp question

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 11:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Amp question

I have a camaro which had the monsoon system but now has all after market speakers. And i have a mono amp that powered my subs from a different car and i know that mono amps are just for subs but would i be able to hook up the 2 front speakers in my car to the mono amp. Cuz the stock amp is starting to go out. Would it be possible. Let me know Please
Old 07-19-2007, 12:55 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

Sure, you could do it but why would you want to?

Assuming your amp is 2-ohm stable and the aftermarket speakers are 4-ohm, you could wire the two door speakers in parallel to produce a 2-ohm load for the amp. But you will lose stereo separation in the front - a very undesirable result.

Beside, what makes you think the factory amp is going? That would be extremely unusual - the Monsoon amp is fairly reliable. I would look elsewhere for sound problems before suspecting the amp.
Old 07-19-2007, 01:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well my reason for thinking that the amp is goin out is because the guy i bought the car from said that the front speakers crack at a certain volume. So i finally got around to check in to it so i took the door covers off and got the speakers and saw that they weren't blown and switched the middle speaker with the front speaker to test it to actually c if it was blown. But the rear speaker switched with one of the front it still crackled so what else could be the reason for that.
Remember all the speakers are after market.
Old 07-19-2007, 01:30 PM
On The Tree

I would say it's more likely that your stock head unit is putting out a junk signal that the amplifier is just amplifying. I'd try an aftermarket HU before doing all the work to run that amp. Besides, even if the new HU doesn't completely fix the problem, it WILL sound better.
Old 07-19-2007, 01:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i have a after market head unit
Old 07-19-2007, 02:18 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Try running a couple of speaker wires from the head unit directly to the speaker and see if that gets rid of the noise.
Old 07-19-2007, 02:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

How do you do that exactly
Old 07-19-2007, 03:09 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Pull the radio from the dash so that you can get at the wires but don't unplug it. Find the pair of wires that is used for a front speaker. For example, the right front speaker uses the light green (positive) and dark green (negative) wires in the factory harness - you'll have to find which wires those two are connected to on the aftermarket radio. Disconnect those two wires from the factory harness and splice in several feet of speaker wire (enough to reach the door) on the radio side. Pull out the door speaker and disconnect it from the original wires, then connect it to the two wires you just ran from the radio.

Now turn on the radio and see if the noise is still there or not. If the noise is still present then you know the factory amp wasn't the problem.
Old 07-19-2007, 03:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

OK thanks im gonna go try it ill let you know if it works or not. Thanks again
Old 07-19-2007, 08:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It worked thank you very much