Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Turn signals won't blink. HU lights dim with brake. Help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2007, 08:47 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Turn signals won't blink. HU lights dim with brake. Help!

My front turn signals will not function when I have the headlight switch in the first on position or with the headlights on. Oddly enough, my taillamps blink perfectly while the fronts stay solid. With the headlight switch in the totally off position, everything blinks just as it should. DRL's still function as they should. I've done this test while not releasing the parking brake also.

On the dash, the turn signal indicators will light but when the "blink" occurs, the light goes half out (more like half lit). This is inline with my issue since one area is blinking correctly and the other is solid.

I've checked fuses, grounds on the passenger side fender, flashers, lamps, etc etc. It seems like some type of wiring issue. I've replaced the front sockets on the car since the stockers looked fried (still worked fine though).

It just sounds like a front end electrical issue since both sides have the exact same symptom. Even when using the hazards, same thing occurs. I don't have a complete understanding of the electrical lighting system of the car or what else to check. DRL Module gone bad? I really don't know what else to look at. Any help would be greatly appreciated and I apologize for imposing.

Another small issue, noticed that my head unit lights dim when using the brake. They stay dim until I release my foot. Happens 90% of the time. Also, battery and alternator are new.

-Brian
Old 07-21-2007, 09:17 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

have you tried changing the headlight switch out?
Old 07-21-2007, 11:47 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

haven't tried that. Are they prone to going bad and causing issues such as this? I'm trying not to throw money at the car because I've done that in the past with minimal success because I didn't properly diagnose the problem.

-Brian
Old 07-21-2007, 04:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It seems your problems start when you click it to the first position to run the parking lights.

Do you have a friend with and F-body that lives close. Maybe you could borrow his for 5 minutes and see. That way you won't be spending money right away.
Old 07-21-2007, 08:34 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

The headlight switch is unrelated to turn signal operation so that will not be the source of your problem. However, both the front turn signals and the headlights are routed through the DRL module so that should be the first place to look.

Another possiblity is a bad ground at the front T/S lamps but they have separate grounds on opposite sides of the rad so that is unlikely.