Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Firebird Speaker Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 07:01 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Question Firebird Speaker Replacement

Hi all, I have a '99 Firebird with a four (?) speaker system with the factory CD headunit. The speakers just aren't high enough quality and they're starting to crap out, so I was wondering what some good replacement speakers would be? The door panels are not the TA style ("large" driver with separate tweeter mounted above). I have done some searching and could not find anything that would help me, as I do not have the Monsoon/10 speaker system. Help? =)
Old 07-24-2007, 07:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think this has been answered at least a dozen times by myself, you should search again
Old 07-24-2007, 07:44 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 95bat
I think this has been answered at least a dozen times by myself, you should search again
I just now reviewed 250 of your posts (ten pages) and did not find one post that applied to my system config (unless it's ok to "think" I have a Monsoon system.. Even though I don't...). I do not have a Monsoon system and I am not asking for advice on subwoofers, enclosures, or replacement headunits. The system in my car is just the one grille per door (sort-of like a Camaro), and one speaker on the drivers/passengers side rear. No sail panel speakers.
Old 07-24-2007, 08:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, since you're putting in effort, I won't make you do too much lol.

A good place to start is how kind of budget you have for the speakers and whether or not you want to run another amp. An amp will liven up the systemmmm greatly, so I'd recommend you do that if you are going to get some nier aftermarket speakers.

So, budget?
Old 07-24-2007, 08:24 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The only real difference as far as replacements go is the fact that you have a coax in the door it sounds like vs. the Monsoon in the firebird/TA that has a component (seperate midbass and tweeter). The speaker sizes do not differ between the two. Even the sails are still 6.5" speakers. Except in the Monsoon sail panel speakers are midbass only not full range speakers.
That being said I would still replace the factory coaxial with a component set as they give much better sound than a coaxial speaker. You can always find a location to mount the tweeter that suits the ear much better than where the coaxial would place it...down by your knee. After that if you require midfill, a decent midbass would do fine for that application. This would give you better sound than you had, but to really take advantage of good speakers a decent HU is definetly in your future. See what you think of the new speakers first.
Old 07-25-2007, 07:34 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by ZexGX
The system in my car is just the one grille per door (sort-of like a Camaro), and one speaker on the drivers/passengers side rear. No sail panel speakers.
Actually, the base audio system has standard (single cone) 6.5" 4-ohm speakers in the doors and "extended range" (but still single cone) 6.5" 10-ohm speakers in the sail panels (next to the back seat). There are no hatch area speakers and no external amp - all speakers are powered off the head unit.

This makes it the easiest setup to upgrade. You can buy any 6.5" speakers you like (coaxials or whatever) or you can install components as long as you can find a suitable place for the tweeters. You can add an amp or just run off the head unit. You can add a sub if you want. Basically, all the speaker recommendations that apply to the Monsoon system (except for sail panel sub replacements) also apply to your system but you don't have to worry about the oddball speaker impedances, OEM amp wiring, or filtered signals.

BTW, don't worry about replacing the 10-ohm sail panel speakers with aftermarket 4-ohm speakers - the head unit is 4-ohm stable so they'll work fine.
Old 07-31-2007, 09:06 PM
12 Second Club

Ah, sorry about the delay.. Anywho, my budget is low-midrange. So now that I know that I can add an amp and a woofer onto this setup, what would some of your recommendations be for a low-end UPGRADE to a base audio system? Don't want to replace the H/U right now (love the factory EQ convenience). I am willing to purchase an amp and a woofer, but I don't expect perfect audio from my car system (I've got an incredible home audio system already - it makes me happy ). Just looking for SLIGHTLY higher quality and a lot more bass. I'm thinking of going with a stealth box and 10" sub, but what would your recommendations be for a system that is "adequate" but better than stock? I currently don't have speakers (or OEM mounting locations) in the hatch area.

Thanks for all the replies!

Last edited by ZexGX; 07-31-2007 at 09:11 PM.

Quick Reply: Firebird Speaker Replacement