Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Disabling Amber Running Lights

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 11:08 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Disabling Amber Running Lights

Alright guys, I know this HAS to be up on this site somewhere, but I can't seem to find it. Can someone please help me out? I did search, ALOT, but I have no luck... Thanks!
Old 07-27-2007, 11:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yes....it has been posted before - funny I search "disable daytime lights" and get MANY hits...

try searching again
Old 07-28-2007, 11:52 AM
On The Tree

yeah i guess i will just try and figure it out... since there isnt one that tells on how to do it on a firebird, can someone tell me what the difference will be between a camaro and a firebird? I have a 99 trans am... would i just take out that little black box and solder a wire b/w the A and B connections?? Will that have no side effects? I want those to only come on with my headlights.
Old 07-28-2007, 12:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fredmr39
yes....it has been posted before - funny I search "disable daytime lights" and get MANY hits...

try searching again
hes talking about disabling the amber lights too. disabling daytime running lights makes it so your amber lights are still always on but your headlights dont turn on automatically

BTW i think this website will help http://www.xse.com/leres/ss/drl.html
Old 07-28-2007, 05:27 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by italicizedsponge
hes talking about disabling the amber lights too. disabling daytime running lights makes it so your amber lights are still always on but your headlights dont turn on automatically

BTW i think this website will help http://www.xse.com/leres/ss/drl.html
No, disabling DRLs has nothing to do with disabling automatic headlights (which are disabled from the factory on domestic Firebirds anyway). It is quite possible to disable the amber DRLs without side effects.
Old 07-29-2007, 06:07 PM
On The Tree

Alright I figured it out. Thanks for the help though guys but for anyone who runs into the same confusion I did, its actually really really easy... you just take out the radio, behind it there is a little black box, pull it out so that you can open it up... pop off the connectors (you have to pop out the little orange holder pieces first)... look at the connectors and they have letters on them and on the smaller connector find out where A and B are and just solder those together with a small piece of wire on the back of the board... it took me about 20 min and now I have complete control over ALL of my lights and NO side effects...
Old 07-30-2007, 11:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by AGray89
Alright I figured it out. Thanks for the help though guys but for anyone who runs into the same confusion I did, its actually really really easy... you just take out the radio, behind it there is a little black box, pull it out so that you can open it up... pop off the connectors (you have to pop out the little orange holder pieces first)... look at the connectors and they have letters on them and on the smaller connector find out where A and B are and just solder those together with a small piece of wire on the back of the board... it took me about 20 min and now I have complete control over ALL of my lights and NO side effects...
This is great info! Now I know what to do when I get tired of driving around with front amber lights all the time!
Old 07-30-2007, 11:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AGray89
That's what the link i posted was, to disable amber lights

im too lazy to do this yet, all i did was cut the wire to the headlight switch so i can only control my headlghts.
Old 07-31-2007, 07:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Question Turn Signal?????

So Now that the Amber lights stay off, do they blink ON for the turn signal, or are they disabled completely? Thanks Swat
Old 07-31-2007, 11:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

they just stay off when your light switch is off, they still work fine when you turn the headlight switch on or use your turn signals
Old 08-01-2007, 04:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Question clarify...

Originally Posted by italicizedsponge
they just stay off when your light switch is off, they still work fine when you turn the headlight switch on or use your turn signals

I see, but if your headlight switch is off (hence the amber lights off) do they blink on with the turn signal like any other car? And when the headlights are on, they blink off with the turn signal, right? I just want to make sure the results are what I'm looking for before I do it. Sorry to kinda repeat myself. Swat
Old 08-01-2007, 05:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Swiat34
I see, but if your headlight switch is off (hence the amber lights off) do they blink on with the turn signal like any other car? And when the headlights are on, they blink off with the turn signal, right? I just want to make sure the results are what I'm looking for before I do it. Sorry to kinda repeat myself. Swat
yes thats right.

Quick Reply: Disabling Amber Running Lights