Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Manual Fan switch

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 04:24 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Manual Fan switch

Ok My stupid Haynes manual says nothing. On the fans is the green or blue wire the ground. I have searched around and found nothing. Thanks guys.
Old 07-30-2007, 04:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

http://shbox.com/1/fan_sw_diagram2.jpg
Old 07-30-2007, 06:25 PM
TECH Resident

does not work can anybody just tell me the wire that is the ground.
Old 07-30-2007, 07:24 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

The dark green wire at fan relay #1 goes to the PCM which provides ground for the relay coil. The dark blue wire goes to a different control port on the PCM to provide ground for both relay #2 and relay #3 coils.
Old 07-31-2007, 01:28 AM
TECH Resident

I followed this exact right up and it did not work. Any suggestions?

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2197072/4
Old 07-31-2007, 01:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

the ground is wherever you put it...

mine is on my seat bolt

you have the power, the load, and the ground. It depends on your switch which is connected to which terminal

*Edit*
i think you should buy the SLP fan switch so you don't mess anything up because if you didn't get any help from that diagram you should NOT be working with wiring
Old 07-31-2007, 09:03 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

It's simple enough to test connections. Start by merely running a jumper wire to ground (no switch) from the dark green wire. This should run both fans at low speed. Next, run a jumper to ground for both the dark green and dark blue wires - this should run both fans at high speed. If not then you either have the wrong wires, there's a fuse blown, or there's some other problem with the fans (bad relay, etc.).

Once you've established that everything works with direct connections, you can check your switch wiring. The low position is easy - you just have to make sure that your switch connects the dark green wire to a good ground. The high position must connect both the dark green and the dark blue wires to ground. That means you must use a DPDT switch (double pole double throw) not the SPDT switch shown in the cardomain link. The switch will have six pins. Each of the two center pins goes to one of the fan wires. Both pins on one end go to ground for the high speed setting. The other end pin on the same side as the dark green wire also goes to ground for the low speed setting. The remaining pin is unused. This is exactly as shown in the shoebox link.
Old 07-31-2007, 01:33 PM
TECH Resident

Holy **** guys im just a retard. I was on the wrong two wires. I had a different set of green and blue wires. I just finished my buddies Lt1 now Im going to start on mine. Thanks for the help guys.
Old 07-31-2007, 01:51 PM
TECH Resident

ouch, i hope ur buddy has full coverage. Grounding random wires is a sure way of frying ecu's bcms and other control modules. To be honest, if i feel that I cannot do something myself, I get a hold of someone who can so that they can show me. That way, the next time i have a better idea of how things work.
Old 07-31-2007, 01:54 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ultraz
ouch, i hope ur buddy has full coverage. Grounding random wires is a sure way of frying ecu's bcms and other control modules. To be honest, if i feel that I cannot do something myself, I get a hold of someone who can so that they can show me. That way, the next time i have a better idea of how things work.
I was pretty confident going into this. I had done a previous lti before. This one was not problem. I did is the right way becasue I had the right wires and was not grounding out random ones. On the other had I was grounding wrong ones on my car but I have already drove it today and she runs like any other day. So no problems there.