Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

security light/key cylinder fix the right way!

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 10:24 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default security light/key cylinder fix the right way!

95z m6

security lights on all the time...im going to fix it the right way no bypassing it...

does the key match the cylinder or match the box under the dash?

can i get a cylinder matched to my current keys? or do i have to get all new stuff
Old 08-10-2007, 07:48 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Try cleaning it first. There is nothing but electrical contacts in the key cylinder. They make contact with the pellet in the key and the body control module (BCM) checks that the resistance from the key pellet matches its programming. If the contacts get dirty then the resistance won't read correctly. Get some spray contact cleaner from Radio Shack and spray it liberally in the key slot. Also, clean the key pellet contacts with a pencil eraser followed by rubbing alcohol. That might solve the problem cheaply.
Old 08-10-2007, 08:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got mine fixed at the dealership. I cleaned it and got a new key when it started acting up and it was good for a few months. Finally it just didn't start for me one day leaving me stranded. The keys match the cylinder and it was about $450 for parts and labor to fix it at the dealership.