Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

easyest way to upgrade stereo....input needed

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 05:26 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default easyest way to upgrade stereo....input needed

i decided to dicth my double din idea for the camaro and get the alpine single din. now, my question is, whats the best way to hook everything up

1) everything through the monsoon
2) fronts and hatch speakers through monsoon
sail panel speakers dictched for a sub and amp
3) rip out the whole monsoon system and run new wires, amp and sub

by the way, the car might be sold in a year and i am not throwing in the stereo.
Old 08-12-2007, 05:45 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My suggestion is upgrade the stock speakers..doors and sails...leave the hatch alone. Run everything through the Monsoon with the Alpine HU. This would cover your midbass, midrange and highs. Add the sub and amp after you hear what this sounds like to fill in the low end. You can always take the sub and amp out if you sell the car. The door speakers and sails you would want to have working properly for resale value anyway and the stockers go away pretty quickly.

Last edited by KEE AUDIO; 08-12-2007 at 10:18 AM.
Old 08-12-2007, 06:21 AM
On The Tree

the door speakers already blew so i upgraded them with elcipse speakers. now, i can get a set of original door speakers. but still i ask about dicthing (well disconnecting) the sail panels because i heard people losing their bass. so i was thinking to run a seperate sub and amp with the headunit preamp.
Old 08-12-2007, 10:16 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

We have had a few unexplained cases of people losing their bass when replacing the head unit (regardless of whether they replaced the speakers) and keeping the Monsoon amp. But those are the exceptions - most people (including me) have replaced their head unit, kept the Monsoon amp, and not had any problem whatsoever. I would go ahead and do your upgrade without worrying about lost bass unless it actually happens to you. If you should end up being one of the unlucky few who lose bass, you can install a sub and amp later. We've had no definitive diagnostics from the systems that had the problem and no two of them were doing the same upgrades so we haven't been able to determine what causes it to happen.
Old 08-13-2007, 01:41 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
We have had a few unexplained cases of people losing their bass when replacing the head unit (regardless of whether they replaced the speakers) and keeping the Monsoon amp. But those are the exceptions - most people (including me) have replaced their head unit, kept the Monsoon amp, and not had any problem whatsoever. I would go ahead and do your upgrade without worrying about lost bass unless it actually happens to you. If you should end up being one of the unlucky few who lose bass, you can install a sub and amp later. We've had no definitive diagnostics from the systems that had the problem and no two of them were doing the same upgrades so we haven't been able to determine what causes it to happen.
i've tried a search and even posted my own thread on how to wire a new deck. so far, only pontiac guys are saying they have bass with their head unit upgrade. also we upgraded the headunit on my mom's 99 blazer and lost all the bass from stock. this is another reason i want to run the subs off a weak amp or just have nothing to do with the monsoon system.
Old 08-13-2007, 10:29 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

The Firebird/Camaro difference is an interesting point but we've also had successful upgrades of Camaro Monsoon systems. Check with fredmr39 - he has upgraded a Camaro with no loss of bass. Besides, what have you got to lose by trying? If it works, you're all set. If it doesn't, you're no worse off - just get a sub and amp.