Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Rear sail panel speaker question

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 03:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear sail panel speaker question

Are the rear sail-panel speakers 6.5" subs, or are they mid-range speakers like the 6.5"s like the one's in the front doors?

If they are infact 6.5" subs, is it a big problem upgrading them to 8" subs?

This is the set-up I was planning on going w/...

Front Door speakers: 6.5" Alpine SPS-17C2's w/ 1" tweeters
Rear-Sail panels: 8" Kicker Comp VR 07CVR84's
Rear-Hatch speakers: Alpine SPS-46C2

Old 08-16-2007, 08:38 PM
TECH Resident

The sail panel speakers are real subs not midranges. In a t/a, they're 4ohm DVC which can limit your options if you want to use both sets of wires. As for fitting 8's in there they should fit as far as being able to drill new holes and bolt them to the panel (the hole will need to be resized obviously) but you'll need to be careful of the depth. My 7kv.2's are 3.5 inches deep and fit fine with a 1/2 inch spacer.

EDIT: I just checked crutchfield on those kickers and they are 4.25 inches deep so i seriously doubt theyll fit unless you really want to do some modification. There is a lip behind the speaker that hits the magnet that could be cut and bent back to get you another 3/8 inch or so but still I'd look into other options. Not much room to go the other way with a thicker spacer either, 1/2 inch is about the max or you'll run into problems with the interior panel.
Old 08-17-2007, 09:24 AM

What if I just went w/ 6.5's in fron and in back, w/ the 2 4x6s and an 8" sub added to the back, w/ an enclosure opposite the spare tire? Maybe just run it all off of an after market head unit plus a 4 way amp?
Old 08-18-2007, 08:02 AM
TECH Resident

If you're going to go through the trouble of redoing the whole system, the car will need to be rewired and the system done properly. Working around the monsoon isn't worth it unless all you want is factory replacement type stuff. Most "audiophile" types say that its best to have all the high frequencies coming from in front of you and only the bass behind you but some like the surround sound feel so you'll have to decide for yourself which you prefer. Components in the doors with some good power to them and then a stealthbox with a 10 or 12 inch sub would be a good start IMO. 8's are more of a midbass speaker, I wouldn't rely solely on those to reproduce low frequencies. If it turns out you dont like the music all in the front, then you can always wire up some full ranges in the sail panel spots.
Old 08-18-2007, 11:28 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have 8" CDT EF-8's in my sails. Honestly, it's sounds great but if I had it to do over again, I'd have not done it. I would have just put some M-6's in there and been done with it. I was happy with my CL-6's in there. They have great bass response. If your looking for deep bass frequencies your not gonna get that from the sails...even with a "real" sub. To get that the easiest way is a traditional 10" sub and amp combo as stated above.