Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Where can i get my amp fixed?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 08:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Where can i get my amp fixed?

hey guys, i have a blown amp, where can i get it repaired?
Old 08-20-2007, 08:36 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What kind of amp is it?? Usually you can contact the manufacturer and they can put you in the right direction.
Old 11-03-2007, 09:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

some of them, like my jbl, they wont work on them
Old 11-03-2007, 10:47 PM
TECH Addict

for the sake of this discussion, i'm going to assume that you've already verified that the fuses are still good (both under the hood and in the amp itself), and that your power cable is providing juice, and that your ground cable has a good, solid connection to an unpainted surface.....if so:

if it's still under warranty, they should work on them or replace them, regardless.....unless it's obvious that there was some type of abuse/neglect that caused it to fail.

if it's out of warranty, just open it up and see if you can find any broken solder joints on any of the components that are soldered to the board. if so, have someone re-solder it, or do it yourself if you're confident that you can do so.....if not, i'd just get another amp and be done with it.
Old 11-03-2007, 11:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 02Z28LS1
for the sake of this discussion, i'm going to assume that you've already verified that the fuses are still good (both under the hood and in the amp itself), and that your power cable is providing juice, and that your ground cable has a good, solid connection to an unpainted surface.....if so:

if it's still under warranty, they should work on them or replace them, regardless.....unless it's obvious that there was some type of abuse/neglect that caused it to fail.

if it's out of warranty, just open it up and see if you can find any broken solder joints on any of the components that are soldered to the board. if so, have someone re-solder it, or do it yourself if you're confident that you can do so.....if not, i'd just get another amp and be done with it.
Hmm, I can't help but feel like there's some sort of hidden underlying message somewhere in there
Old 11-03-2007, 11:25 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 87formy
Hmm, I can't help but feel like there's some sort of hidden underlying message somewhere in there
if you're referring to the bit about "obvious abuse/neglect", i didn't mean anything by it....i'm just saying that they should look at it and repair/replace it if it's still within warranty, unless there are signs of abuse/neglect....like dents all over it, stripped out screws, etc. in other words, unless they can prove that you were tampering with it or treating it rough, you should be ok for warranty repair/replacement.
Old 11-04-2007, 12:05 AM
TECH Apprentice

Oh, I was referring to the first part about checking all of the fuses and connections first. The "for the sake of this discussion" bit. Just found it humorous.

And since this is my second post in this thread with still no helpful information, I guess I should add a little something...as generic and unspecific as it may be...

Every once in awhile I see stores advertise that they'll fix stuff, actually, I remember a post on another board about broken micro fuses in pioneer head units that may have some helpful information. I'll quote it for ease.

"this may help some people.
I called around to find out who can fix this and i found a place in Virginia Beach, VA they charge $75 labor + parts, which they could not tell me how much the part was but i am sure its fairly inexpensive. here is there info:

Audio Video Service Labs
829 Lynnhaven Pkwy
Suite 130
Virginia Beach, VA 23452

they have a threshold amount for different items
amps/cd players-$95
EQ's-$75
A/V units-$130
Home Equip-$100

now they state that most items can be repaired for less but if the repair cost will be more than the threshold amount they will contact you before they do anything."
Old 11-04-2007, 12:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by glocklimited9
some of them, like my jbl, they wont work on them
JBL use to fix amps or you had a choice to take it to a local certified shop to have it repaired. I did this a few years back.. I would send it to the company if possible to have repaired.

Quick Reply: Where can i get my amp fixed?