Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

cutout burning fuse

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 08:37 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cutout burning fuse

I just had my electric cutout installed about 3 wks ago, they placed the wire with the wiper fuse which is a 25 fuse. The fuse burned about 2 days ago and I replaced it, but now sometimes I have to remove and reinsert the fuse and wire again because the cutout stops working. Is this the right place to run the wire, or is there a better place I can run it to. Is there a certain way that the wire has to go on the fuse like not touchin the rubber on the wire or anything like that? I would appreciate the help. Thanks
Old 09-04-2007, 07:49 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

As long as you have the wire run to the fuse box anyway, you should use one of the three ports there that are designed for connecting aftermarket accessories. They are single-pin ports (not dual pin like a fuse socket) labeled BATT (constant battery power), IGN (ignition controlled power) and ACCY (RAP controlled power like the radio). Crimp a standard spade terminal on your wire and plug it into one of those ports (IGN is probably the most appropriate for a cutout).

NEVER just strip the end of a wire and stuff it into a fuse socket. That's a problem just waiting to happen. There are special fuse tap connectors available that are designed for that purpose but the special ports provided by GM are the best answer.
Old 09-04-2007, 12:18 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

will do that thanks for the info