Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Headlight questions...

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 01:47 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight questions...

OK. I recently installed HIDs and think I may have stripped the manual opperation thing on the headlights on my 99 Bird. reason I say this is my driver manual tightens up but my pass gets so far and then the whole thing moves and it just spins on around.

When I turn the headlights on (lowbeams) they raise fine. when I go to turn them off they go down and go all the way down but once they get all the way down the passenger one that is stripped out wants to spin and it makes the most annoying noise ever! it will spin foreven then stop.

one time while working with my HIDs it did it, then the next it didnt then again it did it and thats when I think it fully stripped out. looking for an alternative to this? glue the manual thing thats spinning so it dosent move? try to talk to GM and get a new one?

Another thing that ive noticed is that when I have the keys out and my driver window down I can reach in turn the lights on to low beam. once they raise and come up all the way. I can leave them up for just about 5 seconds. turn them off. and they go down fine despite the wierd sound from the manual thing but once they get down I can hit the unlock on my key fob and they wanna raise back up. once they get all the way up the lights dont come on but they go back down again?

I didnt notice this up and down thing until after I had put the HIDs in but I didnt try it until after this either. and it only does it when raise the headlights and leave them up for a second and turn them off with the key out and hit the unlock on the key pad/fob..

and another thing the grinding/spinning on the manual opperation stops 100% if I hit the lock button while its doing it. which I thought was strange.
Old 09-04-2007, 07:12 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Sticky:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/pontiac-firebird-1967-2002/177470-firebird-headlights-all-comments-questions-regarding-headlights-go-here.html
Old 09-05-2007, 01:00 AM
TECH Regular

So its common for them to raise up then go back down after I turn them off get out of the car and hit the lock/unlock button?
Old 09-05-2007, 11:35 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Screamin_99
So its common for them to raise up then go back down after I turn them off get out of the car and hit the lock/unlock button?
When the gear is stripped, that is one of the side-effects.
Old 09-05-2007, 12:44 PM
TECH Regular

Ok, thanks now its just raising and shutting when I hit the lock or unlock no matter how long the cars been sitting. Im gonna try the 180 and see if that helps. I doubt the headlights had anything to do with it...
Old 09-06-2007, 12:59 AM
TECH Regular

Update..

the pass motor is unplugged. and all should be well. is it because the car doesnt get the correct ammount of power going in / out or the resistance that the drive headlight raises and closes too?

Because It dosent even make noise or have any problems but it still wants to raise up then close as well?

I was thinking it was something to do with the HID kit but no one else seems to have this problem so im totally confused with this.

any more insight to this?
Old 09-06-2007, 07:05 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

When the keyless entry/alarm system flashes the parking lights it also tests that the headlights are closed. It does this by checking for the resistance in the circuit that would indicate the motor is at the end of its travel. When one or both of the motors has stripped gears the resistance is incorrect so the system opens and closes the headlights - that's why you see them pop up and down when locking or unlocking the car.