Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Need to replace blown Camaro speakers for cheap

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 04:16 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need to replace blown Camaro speakers for cheap

OK, I'm a newbie here and I've read the threads on upgrading the speakers on the Monsoon system. I'm still not quite sure what I need to be looking for, and what's required to install them. Here's what I got:

2000 Camaro V6 Coupe w/ monsoon
- Passenger side front door speaker is blown
- Driver side back seat speaker is blown
- Rear deck speakers OK

I'm not sure how much longer I'm keeping this car, so I don't want to sink tons of $$$ into new speakers & receiver. I also have a 2002 SS (my baby) that seems to have a few speakers on their way out as well, so I'll be looking for probably a whole new system for that in a little while.

What's the cheapest way I can get decent sound from my 2000 Camaro? I've read that the front speakers are components, but I don't have to replace them with components, right? I don't know much about car speakers so I'm trying to avoid any complicated wiring if possible.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!!
Old 09-04-2007, 07:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Your best bet might be just to replace them with stock monsoon speakers. Would be the easiest to do, just plug-n-play.

I'm rewiring all of mine to standard 4 ohm speakers and such, completely bypassing the stock monsoon crap. But I'm an electronics nut and like doing stuff like that. Sounds like it isn't your thing.
Old 09-04-2007, 07:56 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

PM'd you with some options for the cheap!!
Old 09-09-2007, 03:03 PM
Teching In

I am in the same boat with my 2002 z28. My passenger side door speaker is blown and gives out a pleasant crackling noise at all times.

Kee, what was the info you PM'ed? I would appreciate it also.

Thanks!
Old 09-09-2007, 04:55 PM
Banned

I have some specials going for upgrading the Monsoon. These are some of the options I have:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...29#post7753829
I can also get some less expensive MA Audio replacements for the doors and the sails but the CDT CL-61CV is a perfect wiring match to the stock Monsoon in the Camaro or Firebird. Plus they sound great.
I also have some nice Powerbass Xtreme 6.5" coaxials that have an exposed crossover network..not just a resistor but an actual crossover that would work well to for the Camaro doors. The exposed crossover would make it easier to wire up the factory tweeter wires which are seperate from the speaker wire. I have to check pricing on these but I can grab a set tommorrow from my distributor and see. They would be cheaper than the CDT's and I believe they run at 3ohms which is closer to the stock 2ohms. Here's a picture of them:
Old 09-09-2007, 05:19 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Aggiemaster
I am in the same boat with my 2002 z28. My passenger side door speaker is blown and gives out a pleasant crackling noise at all times.

Kee, what was the info you PM'ed? I would appreciate it also.

Thanks!
I suggest you go with what Kee has offered. I recently replaced my door speaker's on my 02 Z28 and i had some trouble with it. I got some Sony Xplods from Wal-Mart, but they werent the Coaxials like you should get, so gave me more then tha usuall amount of time to install. I only got 2 of the 4 wires wired. I taped off the other 2. Audio didnt sound good with all 4 wired, it's not bad but i know it could sound awhole lot better if done correctly with the correct speakers needed, but it will do for now. Anything was better then the blown speaker's.

Ill be upgrading this tho, after some time. I need to save up on getting a new converter, so audio system has to wait.
Old 09-10-2007, 07:19 PM
Banned

I can do the Powerbass speakers above with the exposed crossover network for $78.00 a pair with shipping costs included!!
These have some really nice features:
85watts rms @ 3ohms
170watts peak @ 3ohms
60Hz-21kHz Frequency Response
90dB Sensitivity (1w/1m)
16oz Magnet
Hybrid Kevlar/Glass Fiber/Pulp Cone
Butyl rubber surround
Large pivoting silk dome tweeter
12dB Internal crossover
Chrome push input terminals

Quick Reply: Need to replace blown Camaro speakers for cheap