Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Passport 8500 Problem at WOT

Old 09-05-2007, 02:10 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Passport 8500 Problem at WOT

So the past couple of times im driving and got wide open throttle, my passport goes off saying laser. this has happened about 6 times but not every time i get on it and it scares the **** out of me. there havent been any cops around any of the times. anyone else have this problem???
Old 09-05-2007, 04:38 PM
On The Tree

It happens to alot of people on here. The only cure that they have is sending the unit back to get additional sheilding put on it to reduce how sensitive it is. I never did cause i dont want my radar to miss a real cop.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/wiring-stereo-electronics/558726-problem-passport-8500-anyone-else-experience.html
Old 09-05-2007, 05:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

ha only at WOT?? lol when i had it in my DD it would go off everytime i used the horn.

when i was with nextel, everytime i got a phone call or text it would set off the laser. it was a nice alert, never had to listen for the phone.

it randomly goes off in my car now, its annoying... but it still works well as far as detecting real cops goes. I'm considering just deleting the laser outta it... not like it helps really once your hit your hit, the laser warning might as well say "your fucked" instead of laser...
Old 09-06-2007, 02:12 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 98_Formula
not like it helps really once your hit your hit, the laser warning might as well say "your fucked" instead of laser...
wonder if they would change it to that for you
Old 09-11-2007, 02:50 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 98_Formula
ha only at WOT?? lol when i had it in my DD it would go off everytime i used the horn.

when i was with nextel, everytime i got a phone call or text it would set off the laser. it was a nice alert, never had to listen for the phone.

it randomly goes off in my car now, its annoying... but it still works well as far as detecting real cops goes. I'm considering just deleting the laser outta it... not like it helps really once your hit your hit, the laser warning might as well say "your fucked" instead of laser...
I have the same ****, at WOT, when I use the horn, when the windshield wipers are on....I hate the piece of ****...but it works too damn well on the real thing to get rid of it.
Old 09-11-2007, 04:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

yea i hear ya... i think i'm gonna go in and delete the laser out of it if i can, i know you can edit the thing one way or another, becuz i remember reading you could delete out the x band and its usually false alarms, if its the same for the laser, its an easy fix, and if its really something that bothers ya you can get that laser setup that absorbs it so you dont get a reading
Old 09-14-2007, 12:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine only does it in the TA. In my daily driver, the Grand Prix GTP, it never false reads. I don't know if it has to do with the F-body itself or what. Every other car I have put the 8500 in to use, no false Laser readings. I know its not the only car giving the problem, but its the only one I have experienced it in.

As already said above, there is no real reason to have a laser detector. Once it goes off, you are screwed anyway. I just edited it out and no problems.

Search this Thread