Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Power wire for amp

Old 09-06-2007, 04:16 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power wire for amp

I am attempting to install an amp in the hatch. What is the best and/or easiest way to get the power wire in from the battery. I am using 4 gauge wire and can't figure out how to run it from the battery inside the car. If anyone has any pics that would help a lot.
Old 09-06-2007, 04:47 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok are you trying to find a hot wire, or a route from battery to amp?
Old 09-06-2007, 05:42 PM
TECH Resident

From the battery, the wire goes to the fuse, mounted somewhere under the hood, from there, the best way to inside the car is behind the PCM which can be pulled out when you remove 2 10MM bolts, youll see a small hole with wires that goes inside the car under the glove compartment, youll have to remove the kick panel etc to hide it to go to the hatch area
Old 09-06-2007, 05:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The way i did it was i started under the hood and ran the wire under the latch the folds down when you close the hood. Then once i got it threw there i ran it into the passenger door and into the rocker panel. Then ran it to the amp. I think most people do it different ways but i found this the easiest way. Heres some pictures to help you out.

Let me know if you have any more questions if these pictures don't help you out.
Old 09-06-2007, 06:28 PM
Teching In

Is there any special way to get it through the door jam from under the hood. Thats what my original plan was but I couldnt get the wire to go through. Is there anything I need to remove to get to a good spot to feed it through.
Old 09-06-2007, 07:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

The way I wired my 4 ga was to pull the PCM. There is a grommet behind it and I just cut a small slit and pushed my wire through from the passenger foot well area. I first threaded the wire though the loom on the passenger side that the main harness goes though. It was tough pushing it through the grommet as the hole was a little small but I wanted to assure a tight seal on the wire.

It took me about an hour and a sore back but it avoided me having to cut an additional hole in the firewall. The wire runs along the inside of the fender and I think looks pretty stock. Here is a look from under the hood.

Old 09-06-2007, 09:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

All i did was just slip the wire under the hood bracket and just feed it into the rubber tube that holds all the wires that go from the door into the car. After i put it threw the tube i took off the rocker panel and slide the wire through a tar wall that is connected to the rubber tube and the inside of the car. After you get it through that just hide it under the rocker panel into the back.
Old 09-06-2007, 09:37 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by crapyboy750
The way i did it was i started under the hood and ran the wire under the latch the folds down when you close the hood. Then once i got it threw there i ran it into the passenger door and into the rocker panel. Then ran it to the amp. I think most people do it different ways but i found this the easiest way. Heres some pictures to help you out.

Let me know if you have any more questions if these pictures don't help you out.
nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo; Dont run your amp wire like that, its almost painful to see that, lol
Old 09-07-2007, 08:32 AM
TECH Resident

Yea uhh through the door.. no thx..

Just get someone to feed it through the PCM hole that has other wires in it.. and go under the compartment and find it, ez123.

Try to have the plastic covering on the wires in the hood also.. so it doesnt get damaged etc..
Old 09-07-2007, 10:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Running the power wire through the door hinge is asking for problems. Back in my younger years, I did this with my POS Mercury and one day the door pinched the power wire. This was 4 gauge and there was smoke everywhere. The door hinge area was burnt and lucky the battery did not explode. So, the best way is to route the power wire through the grommet under the PCM. Also, make sure the fuse is within 18" of the battery.

Old 09-07-2007, 12:41 PM
On The Tree

i routed my wire on the drivers side and put it through a little whole in the firewall, routed it under the carpet then along the bottom of the door under the carpet, then back into the sail panel let me know if you need some pics.

Search this Thread