Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

New Head Unit from Monsoon

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 07:11 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Head Unit from Monsoon

Right now i have the Monsoon system in my 01 SS and I wanted to start with just a head unit. A couple audio shops told me I needed a sperate special GM harness to make this work? That there is "on-board diagnostics" and I would lose my door chime. Is this true? any help much appreciated.
Old 09-08-2007, 08:22 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On my '98 I didn't have any problems like that. I'm pretty sure no F-body had that setup. I know that was implemented on some J-bodies and other cars though, but I think all of our years were free of that BS.

I put an Alpine CDA-9885 in my car with the stock Monsoon amp/speakers and it was definitely an increase in sound quality over the stock head unit. Didn't have to do anything special. Bought the Humount plate kit and a cheap $7 wiring harness from Walmart. Sounded better than the Blaupunkts I replaced the stock speakers/amp with. Still need to put an amp on these things and see if they sound better.
Old 09-08-2007, 08:44 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

No, they're thinking of newer GM models with the double DIN head units. Those have various other functions such as chimes, alarm, OnStar, etc. built-in or dependent on the particular factory head unit. The Monsoon head unit is just a plain ordinary Delco radio with a Monsoon label on it. There is absolutely nothing special about it and you can replace it as easily as any normal radio.

There is an adapter harness for about $10 that will save you from cutting the connector off of the factory harness. You splice it to your aftermarket radio wiring and then it just plugs into the factory harness. It's the same adapter harness that's been used on GM products since the mid-80s and it's available at any audio shop and even WalMart.
Old 09-08-2007, 09:33 PM
Teching In

Awesome. Thanks guys. Looks like I will do this stuff myself, f these places they don't even seem to know what they are talking about.
Old 09-08-2007, 09:36 PM
TECH Resident

Ive got the deck 300 obo.
Old 09-08-2007, 09:43 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you need a nice mounting kit I have some really nice ones I just picked up.