Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Very mad no bass

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 03:16 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Very mad no bass

I recently installed a Jensen in dash dvd player at circuit city. they told me i had to have a special amp bypass wiring harness to be able to hook it up since i had monsoon. its installed and i have very very little bass. i am furious. i just read another thread sayin that we dont need the bypass wiring kit or anything special. whats the deal?
Old 09-09-2007, 03:44 PM
12 Second Club

i've learned that anytime you change radio and keep stock speakers it allways sucks. thats why i'm keeping my stock cd player because it sounds the best.
but in your case you wanted the TV.

are you hooking up subs or are you trying to get bass out of speakers?
Old 09-09-2007, 03:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm changing my HU - and all the speakers. And giving the monsoon amp the boot. Half of my stocks were bad anyway.
Old 09-09-2007, 04:31 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am so sick of hearing these guys at the car audio shops saying you have to bypass the Monsoon. They have no idea. All you needed was the GM harness adapter, a mounting kit, and possibly the PAC SWI-X or equivelant if you wanted to retain the steering controls. There is NO need to bypass the factory Monsoon amp.
Obviously a speaker upgrade would enhance the sound but if there is nothing wrong with your speakers then run them till they blow. Then upgrade to a good set...not a set of "this will get me by" speakers. Even if you have to get just the doors first and then buy the sails...you will be happier in the long run if you do it right the first time.
Car audio mods are like any other mod in that when you use quality stuff you get quality results.
Old 09-09-2007, 04:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Steering controls? I guess those must be optional or something, because I don't have any on my car. Makes it easier to swap the HU though I guess
Old 09-09-2007, 06:27 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by KEE AUDIO
I am so sick of hearing these guys at the car audio shops saying you have to bypass the Monsoon. They have no idea. All you needed was the GM harness adapter, a mounting kit, and possibly the PAC SWI-X or equivelant if you wanted to retain the steering controls. There is NO need to bypass the factory Monsoon amp.
Obviously a speaker upgrade would enhance the sound but if there is nothing wrong with your speakers then run them till they blow. Then upgrade to a good set...not a set of "this will get me by" speakers. Even if you have to get just the doors first and then buy the sails...you will be happier in the long run if you do it right the first time.
Car audio mods are like any other mod in that when you use quality stuff you get quality results.

Actually, you run into a few problems if you keep the stock amp; 1) it sometimes causes a pop from the speaker when amp is just turned on wihtout bypass. 2) your putting alot higher signal into the factory amp that is nto meant to recieve it. 3) The back of the radio does heat up considerably more when the factory amp is kept 4) alot of times when people come in to a shop, the reason yhou are told to bypass the amp is because, it prevents comeback work when something goes wrong with the amp. its factory and it will go out, so take care of it before it causes a problem and the customer looks at you like wtf, you didnt say anything about this before{even when you warned}.

i know this for two reasons: I work for and have worked for a few shops and have owned 2 camaros with monsoon and done many friends installs that wanted to keep it and those are the problems i ran into. If you bypass it, you bypass the future problems that could start as fast as tomorrow.

Last edited by bmnicolosi; 09-09-2007 at 06:29 PM. Reason: mistype
Old 09-09-2007, 06:51 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
Steering controls? I guess those must be optional or something, because I don't have any on my car. Makes it easier to swap the HU though I guess

Than you do not have moonsoon.
Old 09-09-2007, 07:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

The HU has monsoon written across it and I have a monsoon amp in the hatch area near the spare tire
Old 09-09-2007, 07:09 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by bmnicolosi
Actually, you run into a few problems if you keep the stock amp; 1) it sometimes causes a pop from the speaker when amp is just turned on wihtout bypass. 2) your putting alot higher signal into the factory amp that is nto meant to recieve it. 3) The back of the radio does heat up considerably more when the factory amp is kept 4) alot of times when people come in to a shop, the reason yhou are told to bypass the amp is because, it prevents comeback work when something goes wrong with the amp. its factory and it will go out, so take care of it before it causes a problem and the customer looks at you like wtf, you didnt say anything about this before{even when you warned}.

i know this for two reasons: I work for and have worked for a few shops and have owned 2 camaros with monsoon and done many friends installs that wanted to keep it and those are the problems i ran into. If you bypass it, you bypass the future problems that could start as fast as tomorrow.
Sorry but that sounds like the answer you get from typical "big-box" electronics store installers with the ink still wet on their company training certificates.

1 - the Monsoon amp does not have a remote turn on, it turns on by signal sensor on the speaker-level input wires. So there's no way it could pop because it can never be on until it's receiving signal from the head unit.

2 - the Monsoon amp is quite capable of accepting up to about 30 watts per channel input. There is no spec sheet on this but I've seen it done. Besides, at that level the output volume is almost painful. If you want bleeding ears, install a complete system with good aftermarket amps, otherwise the Monsoon amp is quite adequate.

3 - HUH??? How on earth would connecting a HU to a remote amp have anything to do with how hot the HU gets?

4 - No...a lot of the time people are told that because the shop doesn't have a clue or because they really want to sell more equipment.

We have dozens, perhaps hundreds, of members on here who have replaced a Monsoon head unit with an aftermarket one while retaining the Monsoon amp and had absolutely no problems - I'm one of them.
Old 09-09-2007, 07:11 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by mattraypharbor
Than you do not have moonsoon.
Trans Ams came with steering wheel controls but early Z28s (98-99) and V6 Monsoon systems did not.
Old 09-09-2007, 07:32 PM
Teching In

I just got back from circuit city and they told me they didnt end up using the bypass...and that they owe me money haha. supposedly when my dad picked up the car for me, the guy that did the installation wasnt there and no one else knew he didnt use the bypass. i dont get much bass at low to moderate volumes but once i turn it up ill get a good amount. nothin like the stock HU though. guess im gonna have to get a sub haha how much do one of those boxes that go into the driver side compartment in the trunk cost?
Old 09-09-2007, 07:50 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I do them for $220.00 with a CDT EF-100 subwoofer $120.00 without the sub. You'll also need an amp and an amp kit. I can set you up with a 600watt monoblock amp and a 4ga amp kit to wire everything up for an additional $170.00. I will even throw in shipping. So for $390.00 you get everything you need to put it in. Sub, enclosure, amp, and 4ga wiring kit.
Here's a link to the enclosure and sub (I sold it to him without the sub he already had his own): https://ls1tech.com/forums/wiring-stereo-electronics/774556-fabbed-up-10-sub-stealth-enclosure.html
Old 09-09-2007, 08:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Trans Ams came with steering wheel controls but early Z28s (98-99) and V6 Monsoon systems did not.
don't forget the '97 Z28s
Old 09-09-2007, 08:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

That's fine I don't know how much I'd use the controls anyway, when I replace my HU odds are I wouldn't want to pay the extra for the dooflicky to make them work and then they'd bug me because they don't work lol
Old 09-09-2007, 08:42 PM
TECH Resident

My v6 had steering wheel controls and moonsoon
Old 09-09-2007, 08:56 PM
TECH Regular

Sorry but that sounds like the answer you get from typical "big-box" electronics store installers with the ink still wet on their company training certificates.

1 - the Monsoon amp does not have a remote turn on, it turns on by signal sensor on the speaker-level input wires. So there's no way it could pop because it can never be on until it's receiving signal from the head unit.

2 - the Monsoon amp is quite capable of accepting up to about 30 watts per channel input. There is no spec sheet on this but I've seen it done. Besides, at that level the output volume is almost painful. If you want bleeding ears, install a complete system with good aftermarket amps, otherwise the Monsoon amp is quite adequate.

3 - HUH??? How on earth would connecting a HU to a remote amp have anything to do with how hot the HU gets?

4 - No...a lot of the time people are told that because the shop doesn't have a clue or because they really want to sell more equipment.

We have dozens, perhaps hundreds, of members on here who have replaced a Monsoon head unit with an aftermarket one while retaining the Monsoon amp and had absolutely no problems - I'm one of them.
1) i work for a small custom shop, nad have worked for both circuit city and another larger custom shop.
2) the resistance the unit incurrs will cause the unit to be hotter.
3) your tellin me that i cant hear pop, i must just hear sounds that arent there then huh.
4) thats why i said that eventually problems can occur, maybe not at first but eventually the amp will crap out and it causes customers to come back and not want to believe that is the problem because "it worked before i put the radio in"
Old 09-10-2007, 06:50 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by mattraypharbor
My v6 had steering wheel controls and moonsoon
Yes, steering wheel controls were available as an option. The T/A and later Z28s came with that option as part of the model package.
Old 09-10-2007, 07:03 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

1) i work for a small custom shop, nad have worked for both circuit city and another larger custom shop.
I don't want to get insulting so no comment.

2) the resistance the unit incurrs will cause the unit to be hotter.
That's an interesting theory considering that the Monsoon amp takes speaker level input and provides a 4-ohm impedance on each channel just as the majority of aftermarket head units expect.

3) your tellin me that i cant hear pop, i must just hear sounds that arent there then huh.
Again, no comment.

4) thats why i said that eventually problems can occur, maybe not at first but eventually the amp will crap out and it causes customers to come back and not want to believe that is the problem because "it worked before i put the radio in"
Eventually any component will break down. The Monsoon amp has proven to be quite durable for OEM audio equipment. Considering that there is no reason an aftermarket HU would hasten it's breakdown, I stand by my original comment -
Old 09-10-2007, 02:37 PM
TECH Resident

Yes, steering wheel controls were available as an option. The T/A and later Z28s came with that option as part of the model package.

My v6 was also a 02 best looking v6 hands down som...with the stock body kit thing they put on them the thing was sick nasty looking def realy rare.
Old 09-10-2007, 04:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im in the NW suburbs probally less then an hour from you. So if you need any help with the stereo or new speakers or putting a sub in let me know Ill help you out, ive done a ton of fbodies and vettes. Im also an Elemental Designs dealer and can get you some nice deals on there stuff