Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Headlight Motor Replacement 99 Bird

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 06:00 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight Motor Replacement 99 Bird

Well.. after all the symptoms lead to a stripped gear.. I opended the case and looked. 3 teeth laying on the casing. I did the temp 180 fix. sat the motor down (not 100% back together) and it just kept doing what it was before?

well upon further inspection the part you use to raise the headlight manually would move up and down some. so I think I needed a new motor. but I took it apart and parts went everywhere.

well I went to GM got a diagram of how and where the pieces of the car go but not the inside of my motor. well I asked if they could get this motor. 182. be there in a few days but upon further inspection of the diagram the GM motor has 3 connectors. where as my motor only has 1 which causes me to have to leave it on the car unless I snip the wires.

which I DONT wanna do.

so my question is now. would there be any way to try and fix the motor ? or is it 100% toast since the manual screw up top moves * note that when this part moves it moves the screw inside that turns the gear and im guessing is part of my problem aside from the 3-4 missing teeth from the gear that I found.

if there is nothing left to do to fix the motor.

how do I install the new motor?
Old 09-10-2007, 06:25 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Whats missing teeth?
The worm gear or the large gear?
An aftermarket brass replacement for the large gear is available.
Old 09-10-2007, 07:09 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The aftermarket gear doesn't solve the problem I've stripped 2. It takes more than that. Here's a write up I did on how to completely fix them although if you took the actual motor apart I think it is shot. You can ebay it and find one for cheaper than $182.00. Here's a link to the write up..this works well even thougj it is a fairly simple fix.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...eadlight+motor
Old 09-10-2007, 10:14 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well.. I noticed my shaft on the motor sliding up and down. like something was broke inside so I took it apart. when i did this im 100% sure its toast. but my next thing is trying to just put a new motor in and say oh well.

what am I looking at to replace the motor? seeing how they only offer motors with 3 plug connectors? and mine only has one big one?

EDIT: My stock plastic/Nylon gear was stripped.. I turned it 180 degrees didnt fit it all back together but held it and it was still moving around no resistance? it just kept turning? was that because it wasnt hooked to the arm to tell if its getting resistance or not?
Old 09-11-2007, 01:33 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it's not hooked to the arm it won't turn off. It requires resistance.