Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Properly wiring in multiple gauges

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 02:19 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Properly wiring in multiple gauges

I am hooking up 7 gauges which are autometer Cobalts. I already asked about using the IGN, BATT, and ACCY fuses and it was determined they would be fine. My concern now is what would be the proper way to hook all of these up tho the fuses? I don't really want the gauges hooked up to the BATT and on all the time. That would drain the battery. Should I use in line fuses or relays? How many gauges can I hook up on one line? Will to many cause a voltage drop at any point? Any suggestions or comments would be extremely helpful. I will also want to do the grounds in the same way.

Thanks!
Old 09-11-2007, 03:11 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Use the IGN port in the fuse panel. The gauges should draw less than 1 amp each so you should be fine putting all of them on one power lead. You should always fuse every circuit you install but you don't have to use seven individual fuses. If you use at least 16-gauge wire you can just put a single 10-amp inline fuse in your power wire before splitting for each of the individual gauges.

Ground is no problem - ground them together or separately, whatever is most convenient.
Old 09-11-2007, 03:12 PM
10 Second Club

Any way I should split the power wires from the main 16 awg wire? Or just splice them in along the line?
Old 09-11-2007, 03:15 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Splice them in as you go. Just be sure that the connections are solid and that they're insulated with heat shrink tubing or electrical tape.
Old 09-11-2007, 03:40 PM
10 Second Club

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Properly wiring in multiple gauges