Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Camaro Monsoon system?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 08:02 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Camaro Monsoon system?

So i'm alittle confused....The subs in the firebird have dual coil subs? So are there 4 wires going to each speaker? Now the camaro's have single coil speakers so there's only 2 wires correct? I'm looking to upgrade my camaro subs but i'm just want to know if the wiring will support a dual voice coil sub?

Thx,
Den
Old 09-13-2007, 08:59 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Yes, you are correct. Firebirds have dual voice coil subs so they have four wires each. Camaros have single voice coil subs so they have two wires each.

You can use DVC subs in a camaro by wiring the voice coils together just like you would do with separate speakers. For example, the eD 7kv.2 subs are 4-ohm DVC. You wire the voice coils together (in parallel) to produce a net 2-ohm impedance for the amp. It just so happens that 2-ohms is exactly what the Camaro Monsoon amp is designed for in the sail panels.
Old 09-14-2007, 03:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
...For example, the eD 7kv.2 subs are 4-ohm DVC. ...
just to clarify -- they can be purchased in dual 4-ohm VC configurations as well -- they refer to them on the page as D2 or D4 -- so if anyone chooses to order these as stock replacements -- change the VC from D2 (default) to D4.