Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

radar detector ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 08:54 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default radar detector ?

what exactly is pop?
Old 09-23-2007, 09:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

It's a type of radar that is designed to be "too fast" for detectors to catch. Essentially, it's a really fast burst (on then off again) on the K or Ka band in the hope that detectors don't pick it up. The newer Valentines are designed to handle this, and I'm pretty certain that the Passports are too.

I notice you're in TX, so be mindful of two things: the troopers use mostly Ka, and some of those lighted construction displays with antennas can set you off just like a cop...and they like to mask themselves in these areas (plus fines double in construction zones.)

Just use the detector and be ever vigilant on the lookout for the fuzz. The detector is just a tool, use it to gain insight into the mind of the polizei, policia, cops, Johnny Law, local yokels, panda bears, smokies, etc.
Old 09-24-2007, 12:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

pigs, 5-0, doughnut dunkers, federalies, red and blues, heat, barney's, po-po's, boys in blue, feds, officer, copper, (city's) finest... dont forget those too! lol
Old 09-24-2007, 12:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

in other words dont speed if you hear your city's police is using these
Old 09-25-2007, 02:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

officers are not supposed to use POP mode for enforcement. This comes directly from the manual from MPH industries radar guns manuals. go to http://www.radartest.com for some more info on radar\laser and how it works. A lot of departments are going with KA band radar guns due to being smaller in size compared to other radar guns.
Old 09-25-2007, 07:40 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by seawolf18
officers are not supposed to use POP mode for enforcement. This comes directly from the manual from MPH industries radar guns manuals. go to http://www.radartest.com for some more info on radar\laser and how it works. A lot of departments are going with KA band radar guns due to being smaller in size compared to other radar guns.
Agreed. POP is not something you really need to worry about. The idea is that an officer can get a preliminary reading of your speed without triggering radar detectors. However, since he has to then take a normal radar reading that will stand up in court, any detector should pick up those longer signals while he's targeting cars in front of you. Radar is seldom used in very light traffic because it's not cost effective (not enough tickets per hour) so there should always be other cars getting targeted in front of you.

Most LEOs that I've spoken to don't find the POP capability particularly useful. They can usually tell who they want to target just by observing and then use normal radar to get a reading.
Old 09-25-2007, 08:41 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Agreed. POP is not something you really need to worry about. The idea is that an officer can get a preliminary reading of your speed without triggering radar detectors. However, since he has to then take a normal radar reading that will stand up in court, any detector should pick up those longer signals while he's targeting cars in front of you. Radar is seldom used in very light traffic because it's not cost effective (not enough tickets per hour) so there should always be other cars getting targeted in front of you.

Most LEOs that I've spoken to don't find the POP capability particularly useful. They can usually tell who they want to target just by observing and then use normal radar to get a reading.
that was my understanding also.
isnt it also true(maybe each state is different) that they have to be able to show you your speed(if requested) on the gun before issuing a ticket? nevertheless thanks for the info.