Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Replaced door speakers with component Blaupunkt

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 10:19 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replaced door speakers with component Blaupunkt

So, thanks to all the good posts and info on the monsoon system, I finally got around to fixing the blown right door speaker in my 2000 SS. I had replaced the left door speaker a couple of years ago with an OEM replacement just to get by and a few weeks later, the right door blew. So I have been riding around with the blown Right door speaker for over a year now. I tried finding the part number to order a replacement and couldn't, so I started poking around to see if I could actually replace the 2ohm one with a standard 4ohm.

I bought a set of these to replace them and finished the install yesterday. They went in with some customizing to the speaker bracket that they sent with only a moderate amount of frustration. The doors came on and off fine. There is a spot to bring the tweeter out and just screw it to the door panel just by the speaker. I'll try to get a photo if anyone cares to see where I put them.

Sound is better than stock, and given the cost, I am pleased with the results.

Next I want to look and see if you can cram a 6x9 or similar speaker into the rear and look into replacing the "bass" speaker in the sail panel. Anyone know if you can wedge an 8" component sub back there? I can't find a 6" anywhere...
Old 09-24-2007, 01:01 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

I was going to say welcome to the forum until I noticed you've been here for three years...how about "welcome to posting"?

It is possible to mount 8" subs in the sail panels with some modification although the mounting depth can be a problem depending on the subs you buy. However, there are good 6.5" subs that will fit there much better and give you a significant improvement in sound. For Firebirds, the eD 7kv.2 (formerly EU-700) subs wire in just like the factory dual voice coil ones and are probably the best choice. For Camaros, you can use the eD subs or one of several other options (such as CDT) since they take single voice coil. There are a couple of good threads discussing the eD subs (here, here, and here) or contact Ian (KEE AUDIO) for some other good options.

I would not put 6x9 speakers in the hatch area for several reasons. First, what is it with people's fascination with 6x9 speakers? They were the big thing when disco music was big. You will never get as good sound reproduction from an oval speaker as from the equivalent round speaker. Second, you can't fit a 6x9 in the hatch area without considerable modification to the trim panels - there's only 4" speakers there now. Finally, you don't want that much speaker that far back in the car because it shifts your sound stage too much. Hatch speakers (if you use them at all) should be used merely for rear fill and not as a primary sound source.
Old 09-24-2007, 01:06 PM
TECH Junkie

so was there any modifying to the speaker itself to work with the 2ohm?
Old 09-24-2007, 01:06 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the advice, I'll check the links on the subs.

As far as the rear hatch speakers, you have a point... I hadn't thought of it that way. I wonder if it is even worth replacing the 4" speakers that are back there at all?

Yeah, I have been lurking on and off for a few years. I've mostly been playing around with motorcycles and left the car stock. I recently sold all my bikes and am putting some more time and interest in the car now.
Old 09-24-2007, 01:10 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by teke184
so was there any modifying to the speaker itself to work with the 2ohm?
I just wired it straight in, no modification. There are of course the four wires from the monsoon amp that come in to the door speakers. it is pretty easy to figure out which goes to the tweeter by looking at them. I wired the new tweeter to the ones from the amp that went to the old tweeter and the others to the woofer. It was easier than one thread I saw on having to re-wire a speaker that had both all in one. Mounting the tweeter was easy as could be.
Old 09-24-2007, 01:42 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by TraumaOne
Thanks for the advice, I'll check the links on the subs.

As far as the rear hatch speakers, you have a point... I hadn't thought of it that way. I wonder if it is even worth replacing the 4" speakers that are back there at all?
If the factory 4" speakers are still in good shape then you should probably just leave them alone. If they're blown or you want some sound improvement, Ian has some killer 4" replacements that will do the job very nicely.

Yeah, I have been lurking on and off for a few years. I've mostly been playing around with motorcycles and left the car stock. I recently sold all my bikes and am putting some more time and interest in the car now.
Pardon me for laughing but I suppose a screen name of TraumaOne and motorcycles could be a good match for some. I hope you kept at least one bike. You know the urge to ride will hit you again before too long. I gave it up for a couple of years a while back but then I just had to go buy another one. Now my wife is riding her own bike as well.
Old 09-25-2007, 09:25 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
If the factory 4" speakers are still in good shape then you should probably just leave them alone. If they're blown or you want some sound improvement, Ian has some killer 4" replacements that will do the job very nicely.

Pardon me for laughing but I suppose a screen name of TraumaOne and motorcycles could be a good match for some. I hope you kept at least one bike. You know the urge to ride will hit you again before too long. I gave it up for a couple of years a while back but then I just had to go buy another one. Now my wife is riding her own bike as well.
Believe me, the name TraumaOne was originally coined with irony in mind

I haven't kept any bikes and currently have no big desire to get a new one. That is of course *always* subject to change

For now I think I want to play with the SS and go from there.

Sorry for the
Old 10-01-2007, 12:46 PM
TECH Junkie

pics of the tweeter setup would be awesome.

i've had blown door speakers for 3yrs....that was after blowing 3 stockers in 1yr (2 originals and a replacement).
Old 10-04-2007, 05:59 PM
Teching In

I'll try and snap them this weekend... post again if I don't put them up this weekend to remind me...
Old 10-08-2007, 09:21 AM
TECH Junkie

reminder...
Old 10-09-2007, 11:41 AM
Teching In

Yeah, busy weekend working. I'll try to get them tonight.
Old 10-11-2007, 06:08 PM
Teching In

Yeah, busy weekend working. I'll try to get them tonight.
photo...
Attached Thumbnails Replaced door speakers with component Blaupunkt-cimg8826.jpg  
Old 10-15-2007, 07:47 PM

Default Speaker crossover question

[I have a 1999 Camaro. I need to replace the door speakers. I keep reading that it's ok to run 4ohm speakers even though the Monsoon amp is 2ohms. I've have been looking at the CL-61CV. They are 4ohm speakers with 90.6db. They come with crossovers. Since the power to the tweeters and mid-bass is received on seperate channels...are the crossovers really needed? Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 10-16-2007, 07:24 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can do it with the Monsoon crossover, but it's not going to sound as good. A crossover is designed for the specific speaker it goes for. The Monsoon crossover is just designed to be cheap, and it's designed for Monsoon speakers. You won't blow anything if you use it, but to get good sound quality, you have to bypass the Monsoon crossover alltogether which means providing your own amp (be it from a head unit or an external amp of your choice)
Old 10-16-2007, 07:56 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

You can't use the aftermarket crossover with factory wiring. The crossover is designed to take a single input signal and split it into separate low and high signals for the woofer and tweeter. The factory wiring already has separate wires with low and high signals so there's no way to properly connect the aftermarket crossover.

Leaving the factory filters will work fine. It may not match the ideal cutoff and slope for the aftermarket speakers but it will keep the signals in the right ranges (high-pass filter for tweeters and low-pass for woofers).