Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Will an aftermarket HU work with the HUD?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 12:50 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will an aftermarket HU work with the HUD?

I just picked up an '07 GXP with the Monsoon system and would like to replace the head unit and speakers with something that sounds good. I've never worked on a car with a HUD before, and I LOVE the way the channel name appears on the HUD when I flip around so that I never have to look down.

So my question is, can you hook up an aftermarket head unit to work with the HUD? Are there kits out there, or will it be a jury-rigged solution? Any tips?

Thanks.
Old 10-02-2007, 01:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

I don't believe there are any adapters for the HUD to work with an aftermarket radio. I do think that the HUD will still function, but won't display the radio information. The adapters and parts to even put an aftermarket radio in a GM '07 vehicle are around $280 total.

There is a couple of other solutions though: the alpine PXE-H650, the rockford 3Sixty's, Kenwood's carportal, and a few others. They allow you to install amps to your system and will allow you to control your sound better.

Hope that helps.
Old 10-02-2007, 02:30 PM
Teching In

Hope that helps.
It does; thanks. Just not the answer I was hoping for.

How will the system sound with one of those other components you suggested? Honestly, I think it sounds terrible as is; almost impossible to listen to. It has very little bass when turned down, and when you turn it up it seems to almost eliminate the bass altogether while enhancing screechy frequencies that make your ears hurt before you even get it to a comfortable level. This appears to be on purpose; the Monsoon engineers apparently thought this made it sound better. Is there a way around that while keeping the stock HU, or am I kinda stuck?

Thanks.
Old 10-02-2007, 02:55 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by Nicholas_Bostaph
...Is there a way around that while keeping the stock HU, or am I kinda stuck?

Thanks.
Actually, there is. The Monsoon systems in newer GM vehicles is very similar to the ones in our F-bodies. The head unit is nothing special, the "Monsoon" part is all in the amp and speakers. In fact, Pontiac lists it as an optional "Monsoon speaker system" in their brochures. So you can change out the speakers and replace the Monsoon amp with your own aftermarket amp to improve the sound. However, you may find that (like the Monsoon in F-bodies) it's not the amp and speakers causing the lousy sound - it's the factory head unit.

Another option would be to add a small amp and sub to the factory system to fill in the bass (or a big one if you want lots of bass).
Old 10-02-2007, 03:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I am not 100% sure but I think the only thing you lose is the ability to display the radio info through the HUD. Other than that the other functions should work fine. You might want to check out Club GP for more information regarding the grand prix.
Old 10-02-2007, 03:49 PM
Teching In

Another option would be to add a small amp and sub to the factory system to fill in the bass (or a big one if you want lots of bass).
I tried that in my '99 TA and it was terrible. I still had the same problem of too much bass at low volumes and not enough at high volumes...except that now it was amplified many times over. Thanks for the suggestion though.

I think I may just have to deal with the loss of functionality and go 100% aftermarket.
Old 10-02-2007, 04:58 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If your going 100% aftermarket and want audiophile sound I may be able to help you. I have 3 nice five channel amps to choose for ease of use. Several audiophile speaker options from CDT from the CL line, HD line and of course the ES gold series. All the accessories to go with it incuding mounting gear, harness adapters, and wiring kits. PM for specific information concerning budget and options so I can put together something for you!!

Quick Reply: Will an aftermarket HU work with the HUD?