Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Fog lights on with High Beams?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 08:03 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fog lights on with High Beams?

I was wondering if it was possible to keep the fog lights on when I activate the high beams. I already jumped the wire under the dash to keep the low beams on with the high beams, and I was wondering if there was any way to do this that would be just as easy.

I just need a tad more light on the road when Im in the canyons. I need light out to each side of the car as well as directed in front, so the fogs would be my best choice.

I know its technically illegal to have more than 4 forward facing lights on at a time, but this mod would help me a bunch and I can always turn the fogs off via the switch if need be.

Thanks guys.
Old 10-12-2007, 08:33 PM
TECH Regular

dont know if its the same but on my truck i have it jumped from the lows to the highs and from the fogs to the highs. hope this helps.
Old 10-12-2007, 08:44 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

There is a more thorough description in an older thread (you could search for it) but basically you just cut the green wire near the fog light relay in the junction box under the hood on the left fenderwell. Then you run the relay end of the cut wire to any good ground and tape up the other end to prevent shorting. For a Firebird that's all that's necessary.

Camaros are a little different - grounding the green wire at the relay makes the fogs work with the highbeams but it doesn't make the ON indicator light in the switch work (in other words you won't know the fogs are on when the highbeams are on). You can correct this by also cutting the green wire at the switch, grounding the switch side, and taping up the other side.
Old 10-12-2007, 09:09 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Its in the "Lighting FAQ", which is in the "Hall of Fame" sticky at the top of the "Appearance & Detailing" section.

....or... you could look in my sig.
Old 10-12-2007, 09:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by SVTHuh
I know its technically illegal to have more than 4 forward facing lights on at a time, but this mod would help me a bunch and I can always turn the fogs off via the switch if need be.
I only see 4 lights... 2 headlights and 2 foglights...
Old 10-13-2007, 01:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SVTHuh

People have laws like that... and enforce them?!
Old 10-13-2007, 05:13 AM
Banned

Its california man... They can and some will give you a ticket for 2mph over the speed limit.

I call this state the Communist Corporate Republic of California... I know its an oxymoron, but somehow its fitting.

BTW.. Thanks for the help on this info guys... I tried doing a search, but I was unsuccessful. I will read up in the lighting FAQ and go from there.
Old 10-13-2007, 06:22 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
I only see 4 lights... 2 headlights and 2 foglights...
Two highbeams, two lowbeams, and two foglights equals six. Firebirds always leave the lowbeams on with the highbeams. In this case the OP modified his Camaro to do the same.

Originally Posted by OMGWTFBODY
People have laws like that... and enforce them?!
Florida and Mass. also have the four forward-facing lights law. Other states are probably similar.

Quick Reply: Fog lights on with High Beams?