Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

How about this for a vert

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 12:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How about this for a vert

Okay so ive been researching the crap on a stereo for my vert.. I even saw the thread about the convertible stereo guide.. Im still hitting one big problem.. I dont like any of my options for bass.. Yeah i know "then go buy a coupe" right? No. There are other ways to make this happen. So one solution ive come up with is some Q-Logic 5 1/4 kick panels for a component set, and throwing some of these bad boys in the doors:
http://www.cdtaudio.com/m6_midbase_driver.htm

Now my thing is the 4th gen doors are fiberglass. So naturally im going to have to order a bunch of Second Skin products for my doors. Thats okay. AS LONG AS I GET THE SOUND I WANT. I dont need the boom that some cars have today, i just want a nice loud full spectrum that sounds good. I want my lows to be plenty audible. These woofers have a 10mm xmax, and they can hit freqs as low as 10hz.. Thats great.

Now my 4 questions are:
-Will these thing blow my doors in half? lol but seriously though they are fiberglass they wont have problems with being rattled apart will they?

-Will i have a clearance with my window on these things? I dont know the max mounting depth for speakers on our doors.

-Will the high excursion on these woofers be an issue with the door panel and the screen covering them? Because i REALLY dont like the look of those missing.

-Will this get me the sound i want?

Thanks guys!
Old 10-23-2007, 01:12 PM
On The Tree

http://www.cdtaudio.com/pdf/m6_spec1.pdf
theres the PDF for the speakers..
Old 10-23-2007, 01:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mounting depth might be a little bit of a problem. I had problems with a 3" deep driver even with a 3/4" MDF spacer (needed to add another 3/32" or so)
Old 10-23-2007, 02:03 PM
On The Tree

lovely... Thanks for the response.
Old 10-23-2007, 02:31 PM
On The Tree

ALLLLRIGHT now (ima lose my F***in mind before this is done lmao.) Anyways i found these!
http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...c+camaro&tp=16
They have a 4 inch mount depth.

SOOOOOOOO now its looking like its a matter of Damplifier Pro, Some rattle pad, and some of the other fine products second skin has to offer! lol. Anyone have any input on this? I could keep the CL-61CVs i have in the door, put the M6's in the kicks and be done with it.. HOPEFULLY. I just need some input here. I realize the airspace would be minimal for these things..
http://www.cdtaudio.com/m6_midbase_driver.htm
Hopefully Kee can chime in since he is a CDT dealer. Damn verts....

Last edited by future_Z_Owner; 10-23-2007 at 02:37 PM.
Old 10-23-2007, 02:56 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The CDT M-6 won't fit in the factory plastic rings in the doors. The holes for the screws line up with the factory speakers but the basket has more depth and the plastic mount has a little rigde inside it that hits the basket about a 1/2" from the top. I make a mounting ring and piece to go with the M-6's for the doors. However, the EF-6 would more closely match your power rating on your amp and fit like factory with no mods. They also sound really good!! I just installed a pair in an 02 WS6 yesterday and they have great midbass and clarity at high volume. Here's the specs on these: http://www.cdtaudio.com/pdf/EF-6.pdf
Some pics:

I have the carbon fiber version of these in my car doors right now!! They are running with 100watts to them and do very well. 70watts rms should be perfect.
Old 10-23-2007, 03:10 PM
TECH Addict

No Xmax or Vd specs for that one? I don't see them in the specsheet.
Old 10-23-2007, 04:50 PM
Banned

You didn't see them on the spec sheet because they aren't there. Since when did audio companies start listing xmass and Vd specs for midbass speakers? I know that information is listed for subwoofers, but I haven't seen any companies listing xmass for a midbass speakers either by themselves or in a component set. The M-6's are a cross between a midbass speaker and a subwoofer so it lists that info on there. As far as other midbass drivers...I've never seen a company list xmass or Vd on them. The eD 7kv.2 is strictly a subwoofer NOT a midbass so it would list the xmass on it as well.
Old 10-23-2007, 05:28 PM
Banned

The EF-6 is 2.75" deep and fits in the stock door basket with no issues at all. The M-6 @ 2.94" is deeper by a little less than a 1/4" and doesn't fit in the stock basket but not so much because of depth but because of the basket itself, the push terminals that stick out of it interfear with the stock plastic mount.
Old 10-23-2007, 07:40 PM
TECH Addict

When companies don't list Xmax, it's usually because it's pitiful. Take a look at the speakers on non-sponsor link removed sometime. The OP wanted a speaker with 10mm of excursion....

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 10-24-2007 at 06:56 AM.
Old 10-23-2007, 09:49 PM
Banned

Yep, your right Dragonrage...CDT, RE Audio, Rainbow, eD, are pitiful speakers. The OP said M-6's have 10mm of excusion which they do...not that was his criterion for a speaker was 10mm. He was asking about the M-6 specifically.
I have looked at Partsexpress...oh and thank you for posting a non-sponsored web-site...what am I looking for?? If your refering to the Professional drivers section with all of the 8ohm non-car audio speakers..yep they list xmax..I was refering to actual car audio equipment not PA speakers.
All I do is try to help people with their needs and wants and all you do is try to counter everything I mention...what gives because this crap is getting old.

Last edited by KEE AUDIO; 10-24-2007 at 10:56 AM.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Take it for what it's worth, but here's what I can tell you as a vert owner who has learned along the way.

- Solid 6.5"s in the doors, with good power, and a lot of patience working with sound deadener, will give you reasonable bass. Good enough for rock music but it's not going to do much for r&b or rap. But you'll be spending money and effort for something that is ultimately pretty limited. Not a lot of room in the door, not a very good enclosure.

- If you have the patience, resources, talent, and tolerance for lost space to fab up some kick panel wedges and put a beefy 6.5" (maybe even 8") down in the front footwells and drive the heck out of them, imho this would result in probably the best sound you are going to get. Lots of fab work and some pretty big sacrifices to space, but putting woofers down in that area is one of the best ways to get bass with the top down. People with more talent than me and tolerance to hack their car up could make this work.

- If you want true sub-type bass WITHOUT IMPACTING THE CAR FUNCTION then a wedge box on the shelf area is the way to go. Lots of variants in the vert area but you can get away with 2 or 4 8" subs, box them right, and pound them. This will do better than the door options and not impact passenger space. It'll have the benefits of sounding full fledged with the top up, and still give a nice hit with the top down if you battle ax it.

- The only other thing I've considered, is to make some trade-offs in the rear seat department. Rear seats cost next to nothing, and I think a talented fabricator could put a shallow mount enclosure in a hollowed out rear seatback and port it down into the cabin. Again, beyond my ability but something I think could work.
Old 10-24-2007, 07:29 AM
TECH Addict

He's trying to get as much as he can without requiring other speakers.

KEE: CDT lists Xmax for some of their speakers, as does Rainbow. I believe RE is even better about it. And yes, eD is pitiful and they lie about their T/S specs even when they list them. As for PE, if the mods had looked, it's a home audio site with a few (crappy) car speakers, but you'll notice just about all of the drivers have Xmax figures listed.

Point is you can't just recommend some random speaker to people and expect it to work.

Last edited by dragonrage; 10-24-2007 at 07:34 AM.
Old 10-24-2007, 09:47 AM
On The Tree

Alright lets see here.. The reason i am asking about the M6 is not to use just as a midbass driver but to eliminate the need of a subwoofer. You have a BTW you have a PM Ian.
Old 10-24-2007, 10:08 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by dragonrage
As for PE, if the mods had looked, it's a home audio site with a few (crappy) car speakers, but you'll notice just about all of the drivers have Xmax figures listed.
I am well aware of Parts Express and use them often for electrical and electronics projects...don't always assume we don't know as much as you. When a sponsor complains about a posted link we do our best to accomodate them, so it seemed appropriate to remove the link.
Old 10-24-2007, 11:31 AM
Banned

Got your PM Z!!
Old 10-24-2007, 11:54 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by dragonrage
Point is you can't just recommend some random speaker to people and expect it to work.
This is not a random speaker. Anything I recommend is something I have either heard in person or used personally in my car. I currently use this speaker in my car. It is the carbon fiber coned version but the same voice coil, basket, and magnet so it is hardly random. I put these speakers in the doors of an 02 WS6 2 days ago. I have also sold several on here and all have been happy with them for their application. The M-6 will put out more bass yes, but the EF-6 (aka CL-E6) does a pretty nice job as well and more closely matches the power his amp puts out. It is more midbass though.

I make the mount for the M-6 to be mounted in the doors if you need them and want to go that route Future Z. Mounting depth wouldn't be an issue unless you went with the ES-6 or ES-6+. These are basically a subwoofers and would put out plenty of bass...especially the M-6.