Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Wiring sail panel midbass.

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 01:03 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiring sail panel midbass.

I am wiring up some SVC 4ohm midbass drivers in the sails and I have a 00 trans am. I know the originals are DVC so there are 2 pairs of wires. My question is can I splice the two pairs together and wire the driver with that? or only use one set of wires and not have as much power? I wouldn't think it would hurt anything but I just want to make sure.
Old 12-17-2007, 07:11 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

No, don't wire the two pairs together - the Monsoon amp isn't bridgeable. You can use a single pair with the corresponding loss of power.
Old 12-17-2007, 02:38 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How much power will be lost by only using one pair of wires? I thought I read on here that some people used both wires and just connected them both to the SVC and it sounded fine?
Old 12-17-2007, 02:46 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by nsstech
How much power will be lost by only using one pair of wires?
The numbers say that you will lose 50% of the power by using only one channel. That equates to a 3dB loss of volume - noticeable but not too much of a problem. You see, it takes ten times as much power to double the volume (or one tenth the power to cut volume in half) so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

The factory speakers aren't especially efficient so a good aftermarket speaker that is at least 3dB more sensitive won't really lose anything.