Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Wired a system and it doesn't work, is it Monsoon related?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 05:52 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Wired a system and it doesn't work, is it Monsoon related?

Ok, so a friend got new speakers, head unit and amps. Here's the basics:

Head unit had 3 RCA's going out, one to a bass amp and two to the mid's/highs amp.

From the mid's/highs FOUR CHANNEL amp we ran four sets of wires back up to where the head unit is to have theses wires (off the amp) plug back in to the factory wiring (for an easier installation and what we thought would be a way to avoid noise).

Where the wires from the head unit WOULD HAVE BEEN wired/plugged into the factory speaker wires we ran thess wires that came straight off the amp (which got the inputs from the RCA's off the head unit).

The amp is working (wired a speaker directly to it and it works, in other words the head unit is sending the signal to the amp, it is getting it and sending it out because the speaker played music) and the wires coming out of it (going up to the head unit location) are sending the signal (checked it with a speaker also) BUT it is not going from there out to the speakers mounted in the car.

It is a 02 SS with Monsoon BUT it had an aftermarket head unit it before this one and it played through the factory wiring just fine.

Is there any reason that, instead of running the wires from the amp straight to the speaker, what we did (ran the wires back up to the factory harness) wouldn't work?

We tried unpluggin the Monsoon amp and leaving it plugged in, no difference.

Thanks for taking the time to help a newbie (to stereo stuff) !

Just remembered, the REALLY WEIRD thing is the bass amp is not making the sub do anything either. That just has an RCA going from the HU to the amp and then the amp's wires go straight to the sub. It was installed and worked before, we haven't touched it other than changing the HU (which didn't have two RCA's out (red and white) but just had one black one out labeled SUBWOOFER. No fuses are blown and the amps are working... We are dumbfounded.
Old 12-17-2007, 04:53 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Anyone?
Old 12-17-2007, 05:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

:hmm:

i'm curious too...

thanks guys if you can help
Old 12-17-2007, 05:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, this sounds like a bit much to diagnose over the interweb. But, this is what I got. Try everything straight of the head unit to where you can see the wires. As far as the stock speaker wiring. It all runs straight from the head unit to the amp in the rear of the car. So the amp either needs to be on or the harness going to the amp needs to be spliced to the harness going out of the amp.

I did a straight splice in my car to remove the stock amp. It was a real pain, I toned out each pair of wires one at a time.

It works real well now, yet I just blew out the amp powering my sub.
Old 12-17-2007, 10:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well for starters your running an amped signal to the monsoon amp which is just gonna cause problems, so either wire straight to speakers or at the output from the monsoon amp