Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

AVIC-Z2 on 05 C6 Z51 w/ 1LT

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 09:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default AVIC-Z2 on 05 C6 Z51 w/ 1LT

Hey guys,

I have been doing a lot of searching but I am having trouble determining exactly what parts I need to buy for the installation of my new AVIC-Z2 that I bought off of newegg. I have been calling the local shops and they are all telling me something different. One guy said my unit was "refurbished" even though newegg is selling it as new.

What parts do I need to make this unit work in my 1LT C6? I dont need the on-star parts, etc. obviously. I want all of the bypass mods too so I can mess with it going down the road ...

Are there any good installers in northern VA or is this something I should do myself? Are there any good writeups? I dont want to screw it up but I have installed a bunch of stereos before.

Thanks!!!

-Brent
Old 12-29-2007, 10:30 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is a special harness adapter that is needed in order to keep certain functions. The OnStar part of it is included in this adapter as well. There are 2 to chose from, one makes you keep the actual stock HU and relocate it to a hidden area still within the vehicle so that all the other functions that are associated with it still operate. I beleive this harness is in the $90.00-$120.00 range. The otherone deletes the stock radio completely, keeps the same functions as the previous one but costs about $150.00-$200.00. I believe my distributor carries this through Metra or Scosche but I'd have to check Monday with them for sure. I know I carry the one for the newer model trucks and I think it is very similar to the ones for the C6. I'll check it out.
Old 12-29-2007, 12:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default hey-

here is my link on avic411 - He recommended the parts but I am trying to find a write-up or something so that I know if I can do it myself.

I dont have any cool options in my vette except for the Z51 package. I dont have on-star, or nav, or HUD, or anything like that.

Thanks,
Old 12-30-2007, 11:31 PM
TECH Regular

circuit city / best buy sell the wiring harness that eliminates the stock radio for $100.--in my buddies we used the gmos04---he had bose; if you dont have bose its the gmos01---both made by metra. also, i believe he said after install, the buttons on the right side of the guages no longer beep when the buttons are pressed.