Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Firehawk Sail Panel Speakers, not Monsoon?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 12:18 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Firehawk Sail Panel Speakers, not Monsoon?

Finally blew out one of the stock sail panel speakers today in the Firehawk. I've been reading lots of sail panel threads here and see all the references to the EU700s (or 7KV.2) being a good replacement for the DVC 4ohm in the TA. But it seems most of the threads are about the Monsoon system and best I can tell my 2000 Firehawk does not have the Monsoon. I have the tape deck HU (no Monsoon reference on it) with the 12 disc CD changer in the trunk. The hatch area does have speakers.

I thought about just getting another factory replacement set but wouldn't mind upgrading if I can get more "boom" out of it without going too extreme. The Monsoon thing is throwing me off.

TIA for the help. I don't know much about stereo stuff but I do like it loud and with decent bass. I like jamming to AC/DC.

Last edited by Afterthoughts Auto; 12-30-2007 at 12:49 AM. Reason: typo
Old 12-30-2007, 03:25 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

If you have hatch speakers then you have a Monsoon system. The base audio system came with speakers in the doors and sail panels only. Check for option code W54 for the cassette Monsoon system (W55 for the CD system).
Old 12-31-2007, 01:02 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Well damn...my SPID sticker is not on the door. I can see where it used to be above the latch because there is still a white sticker with some grey lines on it. I can shine a light on it and see some leftover impressions of the codes and the "Do Not Remove". Now I'm bummed. Wonder where it went. The SLP stickers are there but no GM codes. Guess I'll have to ask the dealer to pull the RPO codes to find out for sure. The tape deck says Delco Pontiac on it if that means anything. Thanks for the help.
Old 12-31-2007, 05:57 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can remove the rear panel on the passenger side and see if the Monsoon amp is there. It is located next to the spare tire. There is a picture here in post #5: https://ls1tech.com/forums/wiring-stereo-electronics/612644-monsoon-faq.html
I'd bet that you have the Monsoon even though it is a tape deck. Especially since it has the 12disc changer.
Old 12-31-2007, 10:29 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Also, if your door panel has the separate tweeter mount then it must be a Monsoon system. The base system didn't have components in the door and the door trim panel had only the single speaker cover.
Old 12-31-2007, 02:53 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

The mystery continues.... I removed the rear trunk panel and there is no amp. Just a metal square where one could be. It has the rear hatch speakers though, Delco 4ohm. Doesn't look like anything has been disturbed from factory. Maybe the Firehawk is different?

Old 12-31-2007, 03:20 PM
Banned

LOL!! Well that's a new one for me. Wasn't there an amp in the sail panel area on some F-bodies Whitebird? I thought it was the older ones though and I thought it was non-Monsoon.
Old 12-31-2007, 03:52 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Yeah its a new one for the parts guy too. I called and got my RPO codes faxed to me. It does have the W54 and shows I should have an amp in the rear hatch. Although he couldn't confirm that W54 for sure meant Monsoon. Everything looks bone stock to me. Nothing has been spliced, hacked, etc. All Delco speakers. The system jammed pretty good before the blown speaker. Maybe I should just buy a replacement set of the Delco sail panel speakers and be done with it. But now I'm curious what happened to the amp and those ED sub speakers for the sail panel sound like a nice upgrade. Wonder if the amp is hidden somewhere else.
Old 12-31-2007, 04:54 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

There was a 10-speaker system similar to the Monsoon available in earlier (LT1) Firebirds. It had the amp mounted in the right sail panel below the speaker, next to the rear seat. The W54 code is definitely Monsoon - it's listed as "10 speaker system with amp".
Old 12-31-2007, 05:29 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

If the amp had been removed I assume the system would sound like crap or not even work? I wonder if it was relocated somewhere else in the car. Maybe by the 12 disc changer? I'll check around some more and see if I can find it. I've been under the dash to remove a K-40 setup that was installed by the prior owner and don't recall any stereo modifications there.
Old 12-31-2007, 05:39 PM
TECH Addict

It would sound like crap compared to a car with the Monsoon at least. Pull out your headunit and see if they have the headunit powering the speakers directly instead of through an amp. There would be wires from the speakers spliced into the harness.

Quick Reply: Firehawk Sail Panel Speakers, not Monsoon?