Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

is there a way to get the lighter to shut off with car

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 02:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default is there a way to get the lighter to shut off with car

When i run my sirius i have to shut off the unit itself after the car runs, i am wondering if there is a way to wire the cig lighter so it shuts off with the car?
Old 12-31-2007, 05:59 AM
TECH Resident

isn't the cig lighter wired into the 12v ignition? i've never tried to use it while the car is off...but if it isn't i would say wire it into the 12v ignition
Old 12-31-2007, 06:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

so i could wire it into the 12v that turns on the stereo right? When i have my sirius plugged in it will stay on after the car is off unless you turn it off manually.
Old 12-31-2007, 10:57 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

Instead of changing the factory wiring, buy an accessory power socket (like a lighter socket on the end of two wires) and wire that to the stereo harness. Then plug your satellite radio into that and tuck it away behind the dash - out of sight. Then your satellite radio will be on whenever the stereo is on - including after turning off the car but before opening a door (RAP operation).
Old 01-06-2008, 01:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

^^^^^excellent idea
Old 01-06-2008, 02:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Instead of changing the factory wiring, buy an accessory power socket (like a lighter socket on the end of two wires) and wire that to the stereo harness. Then plug your satellite radio into that and tuck it away behind the dash - out of sight. Then your satellite radio will be on whenever the stereo is on - including after turning off the car but before opening a door (RAP operation).
Actually what i was thinking is to wire it to the power seat wires, there is an orange and black under the seat and since i dont have my power seats wired up i can just use those.
Old 01-06-2008, 02:25 AM
TECH Resident

I don't think that'll solve the problem - my seats have power when the car's off.
Old 01-06-2008, 02:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2002BlackSS
I don't think that'll solve the problem - my seats have power when the car's off.
I all ready have my fan switch wired up to these and they only come on when the ignition is on. I also tested it with the engine off and there is no power to it.
Old 01-06-2008, 11:57 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

I don't know about 94s but newer models have power to the seats at all times. Besides, why would it be better to use that circuit when the stereo power works with RAP and is closer to where you want to connect? If your power seat connection is really ignition controlled then you will turn off the car and the satellite radio but still have the stereo on until you open a door.
Old 01-06-2008, 06:44 PM
Banned

my car has power to the seats at all times,i have a 94 but its a camaro
Old 01-08-2008, 03:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Whitebird...friggin' AWESOME idea!!!... How hard is it to wire that?
Old 01-08-2008, 03:59 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by Calstud86
Whitebird...friggin' AWESOME idea!!!... How hard is it to wire that?
Pretty easy. Get an extension socket from any auto parts store, Radio Shack, or Wal-Mart something like this:

(there are better ones available that don't have the exposed connectors on the back or the unnecessary cover plug - that was the only picture I could find quickly)

Use Scotchlock connectors to tap the red wire into the yellow wire in the black head unit connector. Then you can tap the black wire to the black wire in the same connector or just run it to a good chassis ground.

That's all there is to it - plug your satellite radio power adapter into the socket, hide it out of sight behind the dash, and you've got a custom installation.
Old 01-08-2008, 05:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Or if you wanna get really creative, take his idea a step further, and keep all the power drawn on the cig. lighter circuit..

Pick up a standard SPDT or SPST automotive relay, and wire:
30 - splice into the cig lighter/outlet
87 - positive to the new outlet that will be switched
85 - splice into your switched radio power lead
86 - to ground, same as the ground on the new outlet.

this will switch the outlet, but still have it draw off the lighter circuit, could be an issue for guys with lots of cig. lighter accessories (like me) and who drive their speakers from the head unit.
Old 01-15-2008, 08:23 PM
Launching!

I did the same, except I wired it off a 12v line that turned on with the ignition. I then wired a new cig lighter plug, plugged my GPS into that, then tucked it away in the dash under the plastic piece above the pedals. Works like a charm, and I don't have to worry about too much draw from the radio power line (I'm running high powered speakers off them currently)