Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Stereo Install in a 2000 Eclipse (with Infinity system)

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 03:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Stereo Install in a 2000 Eclipse (with Infinity system)

I just recently bought an aftermarket cd player and Im trying to install it in a 2000 Eclipse GS. When I removed the stock Infinity stereo system, I noticed 2 wiring harnesses opposed to 1 that I usually see in vehicles (Like my old 01 TA). Theres one smaller one, with about 4 wires, and a larger one that looks like your typical stock vehicle wiring harness. When I connected all of the wires from my Kenwood cd player to the wires from the main harness, I get no power to the player. It will not turn on at all. Does anyone else know what I need, or what Im doing wrong? I've heard that its not possible to hook up an aftermarket cd player to the Infinity amp thats in the Eclipse, is this true? Thank you very much in advance.
Old 01-03-2008, 04:26 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

You need an adapter such as the PIE HR-MIT or the Metra 70-7003 (about $20 for either one). It is a harness with a 6-pin DIN (round) connector on one end with four RCAs and a remote turn-on wire at the other end. The remote turn-on wire is necessary to activate the Infinity amp under the passenger's seat.
Old 01-03-2008, 05:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
You need an adapter such as the PIE HR-MIT or the Metra 70-7003 (about $20 for either one). It is a harness with a 6-pin DIN (round) connector on one end with four RCAs and a remote turn-on wire at the other end. The remote turn-on wire is necessary to activate the Infinity amp under the passenger's seat.
You just saved me a bunch of time, and a bunch of money. I was going to go ahead and replace all 4 speakers, and wire them all with fresh speaker wire. BTW, I take it the 4 rcas just tap into the back of my reciever (Rca front out, and Rca rear out?) Thank you very much
Old 01-04-2008, 07:07 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Yes, that's what the RCAs connect to. The remote turn-on wire connects to the turn-on wire of your head unit.
Old 01-06-2008, 04:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Yes, that's what the RCAs connect to. The remote turn-on wire connects to the turn-on wire of your head unit.
Ok, I got it all hooked up and the radio works fine. Heres my problem...when I switch to Cd or to Sirius, I dont hear anything. I know its not the cds, because they work fine on other players. Heres what Im thinking I did wrong. On the back of my Kenwood, it has a "power antenna" cable, and a "P. Cont" cable. I think I hooked up my remote wire that turns on the Infinity amp to the "power atenna cable" and not the P.Cont. If thats the case, then every time I switch to cd from tuner its prob turning off the signal to the amp, and thats why Im not hearing anything. Does this sound right? BTW, what does P. Cont stand for?
Old 01-06-2008, 05:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

^^That sounds right, P.cont probably stands for "Power, continuous" That should probably be hooked up to the amp assuming I got the abbreviation right.
Old 01-06-2008, 06:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 87formy
^^That sounds right, P.cont probably stands for "Power, continuous" That should probably be hooked up to the amp assuming I got the abbreviation right.
I was thinking the exact same thing, but after doing some research on Kenwoods web site, I found out it means Power Control Wire. It DOES say to hook up an amps remote wire to that wire. I just hope that I really did connect it to the power antenna wire by accident, that way it will be a quick easy fix. I cant wait to get off of work tonight at 11

Quick Reply: Stereo Install in a 2000 Eclipse (with Infinity system)