Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Front speaker problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 07:28 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front speaker problem

OK, first yes I have read the Monsoon FAQ as well as other problem speakers threads however after inspection I think my problem is unique. My front speakers I believe to be blown on my 2002 Z28. I went out to take the grills off and have a peek around when I noticed that on both front speakers the top and bottom center of the grills has been glued to the inside of the speaker compartment ! I can loosen the grill on the side and in doing so it looks like the current speakers are too big for the compartment, then while popping off the grill of the drivers front i noticed a BLOCK of BLACK FOAM wedged between the speaker and the frame !!!
All I want is a relatively inexpensive way of replacing just the speakers with no drastic changes, this car still has under 50K miles.

I can try to upload some pictures later on this evening.
Old 01-04-2008, 08:14 PM
Teching In

Default pics

Here are some pictures of the current situation.

The leftmost one is the drivers side foam piece wedged between the speaker on the left and the frame on the top right.
The middle one is the passenger side same spot as the first but no foam.
The right hand pic is a severely distrorted view of the top of the speaker glued on and won't budge.
Attached Thumbnails Front speaker problem-img_0300.jpg   Front speaker problem-img_0303.jpg   Front speaker problem-img_0305.jpg  

Last edited by dman69; 01-04-2008 at 08:16 PM. Reason: captions on pics
Old 01-04-2008, 09:33 PM

super pics
Old 01-04-2008, 09:36 PM

actually the speaker grilles ARE glued on fron the factory........not sure how you got them off without breaking them.....usually the whole door panel MUST come off.......
Old 01-04-2008, 10:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also, the block of foam is for preventing vibrations.

Your best bet is to bring it to a shop and never try to mod your car again.
Old 01-04-2008, 10:40 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

lmao I reread this twice I didn't wanna believe someone just tried to pull the grill off...
Old 01-04-2008, 10:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Cool

Originally Posted by gumpsZ
super pics

LOL the best ever.

Old 01-04-2008, 11:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Click on my link z98 and you will get clear pictures of the front speakers seperated. One is a tweeter, the top.
The other is a mid bass.

Look in the for sale section for a used speaker.
Old 01-05-2008, 09:31 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by dragonrage
Also, the block of foam is for preventing vibrations.

Your best bet is to bring it to a shop and never try to mod your car again.

I determined today that I know the rear passenger hatchback speaker is aftermarket it says right on the back

Delco Electronics
4 Ohms

Again I'm not trying to mod my car I want to maintain the status quo because other than this problem this car is in immaculate shape, I just want to get it back to as original as possible.
Old 01-05-2008, 10:13 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Uh, Delco electronics makes the factory speakers, amp and headunit and the speakers in the hatch are 4ohm. Those ARE factory. Delco has been making GM's radios for years.
You CANNOT replace the speakers in the doors without removing the door panel. This goes for Camaros AND Firebirds.
You can do this project yourself. It is not difficult to remove a door panel and replace the speakers the right way. Otherwise you will be ruining a 50,000 mile door panel that otherwise should be in good condition.
Old 01-05-2008, 11:29 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by KEE AUDIO
Uh, Delco electronics makes the factory speakers, amp and headunit and the speakers in the hatch are 4ohm. Those ARE factory. Delco has been making GM's radios for years.
You CANNOT replace the speakers in the doors without removing the door panel. This goes for Camaros AND Firebirds.
You can do this project yourself. It is not difficult to remove a door panel and replace the speakers the right way. Otherwise you will be ruining a 50,000 mile door panel that otherwise should be in good condition.
Thanks for the info, as you can tell I know nothing about what I'm doing.
However I agree with you this project is possible on my own and I am going to try to find some resources on how to get this done the right way.

I have already been to a shop and they told me IF it was just the front speakers the cheapest ones they had to replace it with would be 225 for parts and labor.
BTW that is out of my price range for one pair of speakers.

On my 97 30th Anniversary edition the same thing happened with one of the front speakers several years ago, I went to the nearest audio shop and was charged 20 bucks for diagnosis and they told me the amp was broken and tried to sell me a new amp and HU.

Thanks again.