Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Remote Start

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 12:01 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Remote Start

Simple question...anybody put a remote start in their bird, or plan to put one in to cool off the car on those hot summer days or warm up the car on those cold winter ones. Just askin, thought it'd be kind of cool to here The V-8 Roar to life from outside the car instead of inside.
Old 01-05-2008, 12:35 AM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

That was one of the first things I did when I bought mine. I love the auto start and the alarm is great.
Old 01-05-2008, 12:42 AM
On The Tree

yea i heard ur detoxx and was like i want one....hey much did it cost???
Old 01-05-2008, 02:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I put one on my wifes car from Circuit city. I think the brand is "Python." While I love the remote start this brand sucks, the battery is constantly dead. I also had one on my work truck from Tweeter audio and this one was much better. Can't remember the brand though.
Old 01-05-2008, 02:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First mod to the car because it came with the alarm. My brand of choice is Viper. One system has a 1/4 mile range and the STS system that I have is a one mile range. The thing I like best about the alarm is that it alerts you when your alarm goes off and also lets you know if a theif has opened the door, trunk or hood. I had my kit installed for about $400. My car is also a manual and the kit is not supposed to be installed on a manual trans. If I leave it in gear the car has enough torque to start and drive away so you have to be carefull and most places wont install on a manual.Im not sure what area you are in but I could tell you a good place in Southern California if interested.
Old 01-07-2008, 01:18 AM
Teching In

I had a Python installed on mine... 2-way communicator with LCD remote and a half-mile range. The reason the battery dies quickly is that the remote updates from the car every 4 seconds, and like MrElectric03 said, it alerts you when your alarm goes off, as well. All I'm going to say is, if you're going to get one, do NOT get the cheap crap from Wal-Mart. Go with a top-of-the-line model and have it professionally installed. It might cost you 400-500, but it's worth the money. A cheap system will only blow your ECM or f-up your ignition system. I'm speaking from experience.
Old 01-07-2008, 11:21 AM
Teching In

Sounds awsome yea i was thinkin that i would get a viper system, what happens when the battery in the remote dies, where do u get a new one?
Old 01-07-2008, 07:16 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Firebird-guy
Sounds awsome yea i was thinkin that i would get a viper system, what happens when the battery in the remote dies, where do u get a new one?
Mine uses AAA batteries, not some crappy watch battery. You can get them from any gas station or grocery store. But just dont break the remote... I had to replace mine and found out the remote itself costs $100.
Old 01-08-2008, 01:36 AM
10 Second Club

I have the Viper system and all together with install and tax it was a little over 600
Old 01-08-2008, 01:37 AM
10 Second Club

but it is worth every penny especially with all the thefts around here and plus starting it up when people are walking by is priceless when I scare the **** out of them
Old 01-08-2008, 05:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like they said...one AAA battery. It lets you know when it is going dead and they honestly go out a little fast but I have never had my car battery die like others have said about their systems and the viper has given me great service.like I said it was like $400 to have mine installed here in So Cal but prices are different everywhere
Old 01-08-2008, 06:36 PM
Teching In

OOOO I though it used one of those special batteries like one for a watch or whatever. Yea whats the deal with battery in the car. Does it matter how many times you use the remote start before you have to start the car manually or does it not matter and u can be as trigger happy as u want . I live in Jersey any one know where I can go to find a good deal. My original intent is to go to a Best Buy or Circuit city or somethin.
Old 01-09-2008, 02:14 PM
TECH Resident

I have one. It's cool to start it from the outside. Who ever owned the car before me put it on so i don't know the brand.
Old 01-09-2008, 08:17 PM
Teching In

OOOO I though it used one of those special batteries like one for a watch or whatever. Yea whats the deal with battery in the car. Does it matter how many times you use the remote start before you have to start the car manually or does it not matter and u can be as trigger happy as u want . I live in Jersey any one know where I can go to find a good deal. My original intent is to go to a Best Buy or Circuit city or somethin.
The deal with the car's battery is that sometimes, when the installers are lazy, they won't use a relay or protection circuit to keep the system from draining the battery, they just hook it up to the car's electrical system from a hot wire. Which brings me to my second point... I would go to a trusted local installer instead of a big chain, and make sure they offer a warranty. A lot of bigger chain companies will scimp on the installation quality to save time.
Old 01-09-2008, 11:25 PM
Teching In

i didn't think you could install a remote start in a manual...if so, how does that work? i mean, you have to press the clutch to start....i feel pretty dumb right about now...lol
Old 01-10-2008, 07:08 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

You have to bypass the clutch safety switch when you install a remote start in a manual (really simple to do - just short the two switch wires together).

You also have to make sure your parking brake is properly adjusted and you use it all the time. With a properly adjusted parking brake engaged, even if you happen to try to start the car with it in gear, it won't move. Also, be sure to get a quality remote start kit that has a tach wire. The remote starter will give up trying to start the car if the engine doesn't reach a certain RPM after a couple of seconds. If you do those things then you won't have to worry about the urban legends of remote start cars running into walls or chasing old ladies across the parking lot.
Old 01-10-2008, 11:07 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
You have to bypass the clutch safety switch when you install a remote start in a manual (really simple to do - just short the two switch wires together).

You also have to make sure your parking brake is properly adjusted and you use it all the time. With a properly adjusted parking brake engaged, even if you happen to try to start the car with it in gear, it won't move. Also, be sure to get a quality remote start kit that has a tach wire. The remote starter will give up trying to start the car if the engine doesn't reach a certain RPM after a couple of seconds. If you do those things then you won't have to worry about the urban legends of remote start cars running into walls or chasing old ladies across the parking lot.

Thats not 100% true. If your E-brake is weak, the car will lunge forward with enough speed to do some damage. I know of 3 instances personally where a car was remote started into a wall, car, and a police cruiser.

The big problem is that DEI systems will try to start not once, but three times. The first time if it does not catch, it will boost the rpms a little the second time, and a little more for the third.

Whitebird, I know your knowledgable in this field, but this has been my experiences with remote start vehicles.
Old 01-10-2008, 11:20 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

That's why I said "You also have to make sure your parking brake is properly adjusted and you use it all the time." The car will not move with a properly adjusted and engaged parking brake. A properly adjusted parking brake is strong enough to hold against the torque of an idling engine (try engaging the brake and letting out the clutch - the engine will stall) so a starter motor is certainly no match for it.

There are remote start kits that are designed specifically for manual transmissions. Those kits require a procedure when you shut off the car to ensure it is in neutral. For example, one requires you press a button on the remote, turn the ignition off (but the car stays running), get out of the car and use the remote to lock the doors (at which point the engine shuts off). There is no way you could get out of the car with the engine running unless it was in neutral so the system knows it will be safe to start with the remote starter.
Old 01-10-2008, 11:36 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Kale
The deal with the car's battery is that sometimes, when the installers are lazy, they won't use a relay or protection circuit to keep the system from draining the battery, they just hook it up to the car's electrical system from a hot wire.
How are you supposed to hook it up then?
Old 01-11-2008, 10:59 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
That's why I said "You also have to make sure your parking brake is properly adjusted and you use it all the time." The car will not move with a properly adjusted and engaged parking brake. A properly adjusted parking brake is strong enough to hold against the torque of an idling engine (try engaging the brake and letting out the clutch - the engine will stall) so a starter motor is certainly no match for it.

There are remote start kits that are designed specifically for manual transmissions. Those kits require a procedure when you shut off the car to ensure it is in neutral. For example, one requires you press a button on the remote, turn the ignition off (but the car stays running), get out of the car and use the remote to lock the doors (at which point the engine shuts off). There is no way you could get out of the car with the engine running unless it was in neutral so the system knows it will be safe to start with the remote starter.

Do you know who makes these kind of kits? I've heard there are some kits out there but they do not work properly and not really worth the money.