Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Module in dash behind radio.. what is it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 02:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Module in dash behind radio.. what is it?

I was doing a little re-wiring on the aftermarket radio that came in my T/A, and while the radio was out, I noticed that a black box (approx the size of a deck of cards and twice as thick) that is in the back of the radio cavity had one of the 2 plugs disconnected from it..

The box is mounted vertically, and has 2 plugs, a ~12 pin and a ~8 pin, coming out the bottom. On mine, the 8-pin was disconnected.

The things that don't work on my car are the rear defroster (I think that was because of a hasty window tint removal job), no DRL's or "brake" light on the dash when the parking brake is applied, but I have a feeling that was a previous owner mod to get rid of the DRL's.

My car was originally an A4, and is now a M6 - could this plug have something to do with that?

I need to get the schematics pronto so I'll quit asking dumb (to me at least) questions like this!
Old 01-07-2008, 02:47 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

The box you see is the DRL module. The smaller plug that's disconnected is the ghetto way to disable DRLs (because of the side effects you've noticed).
Old 01-07-2008, 09:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

aaahhhh, so the only side effects are that I don't get the BRAKE light on the dash with the parking brake? I can deal with that.

Thanks for the info!
Old 01-07-2008, 11:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Cool

Originally Posted by Eskimo
aaahhhh, so the only side effects are that I don't get the BRAKE light on the dash with the parking brake? I can deal with that.

Thanks for the info!

Wrong!!!!!!!!!
DRL stands for Daytime Running Lights.
Old 01-08-2008, 06:59 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by Eskimo

Thanks for the info!
Not exactly. On your M6 it also means that your remote hatch release won't work.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Kage- you funny..

WhiteBird - I guess there was another wiring modification done on my car, because my hatch release works, both on the remote, and the button on the dash.. Good info though for someone else whose car wasn't so 'tinkered' with beforehand..