Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Need help wiring up some accessories.

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 02:27 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Need help wiring up some accessories.

Ok I wired up my NGK Wideband with a wire running to the fuse block (driveside behind door) and I think it was labeled accessory if I can remember I might want to take a pic. The power goes to it when the ign is on only. Anyway I ran the wire strait with no fuse is that fine cause isn't it protected by a fuse anyway? Now im also thinking about hard wiring up my valentine 1 radar detector now. Should I hook that into the same wire or what? I rather not tap into any wires in the factory harness if I dont have too. I also want to say thanks for all the great info this site has given me lots of good people on here.

John
Old 01-10-2008, 06:58 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

There are three ports in the fuse panel that are designed for adding aftermarket accessories. They are labeled BATT (constant battery power), IGN (ignition controlled power), and ACCY (ignition controlled power that also stays on during RAP operation like the radio). Each is a 15-amp circuit. It is always a good idea to add a smaller fuse inline for your accessory if it doesn't require the full 15 amps - especially if you used small gauge wire.

For example, your gauge probably only draws an amp or two. It is possible for something to go wrong and draw 15 amps on that circuit. That's not enough to blow the 15-amp fuse but it might be enough to overheat a small wire and cause a fire. Adding a 5-amp fuse inline would prevent that problem.

I would recommend using the IGN port for both the gauge and the radar detector since neither one is needed in RAP mode (but the ACCY port will work as well).
Old 01-10-2008, 12:38 PM
TECH Addict

Hey thanks a lot if I use the same port for both things how you think I should split off the wire? For the radar detector should I just tap into the wire im using for the Wide band.
Old 01-10-2008, 01:58 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

Yes, you can tap into one wire for both accessories. Or you can connect two wires to a single spade connector and plug that into the fuse panel.

If you use a single wire and then split into two, make sure you put the inline fuses after the split (i.e. one for each accessory) and use a large enough common wire to handle the total current for both devices. I would think that a short 14-gauge wire for the common section and then 16-gauge wires for the radar detector and wideband with 5-amp fuses in each line should be sufficient.

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 01-10-2008 at 02:52 PM.
Old 01-10-2008, 02:46 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks that helped a lot now I just need to save this thread so I dont forget lol. Might be a few more weeks before I get to it.