Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Another ipod question

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 12:44 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another ipod question

I have an aftermarket pioneer and bought the connecting cable. I've been looking through the search and seeing ideas. I think I'd like to have mine out of sight. So, looks like glovebox is best bet. I just didn't see anything about if holes were needed drilled or is there opening somewhere? Sorry if this is a dumb question! Just don't like the sound of drilling holes on my baby. lol.

Thanks all,

Kyle
Old 01-10-2008, 02:56 PM
Staging Lane

Yours hooks up to the back of your HU right? Then its a pretty good length of cord to run your Ipod. What I did was took my ash tray thingy so that its just an empty space below it. Run your wire under your console thingy and bring it out to the ash tray and slip your Ipod in it and close the lid and you don't see any wires or the Ipod at all. I have a mini though, I am sure you could do it with a normal sized Ipod except it would probably stand up in the hole instead of hide.
Old 01-10-2008, 03:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

tad bit off topic, im sorry.

Could you post what radio you have and a link to the cable you got? Thanks.
Old 01-10-2008, 03:12 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by cooltc2004
tad bit off topic, im sorry.

Could you post what radio you have and a link to the cable you got? Thanks.
If your talking to me, I have the Alpine 9883 HU, bought the cable at BestBuy for $30. Just called Alpine to Ipod hookup.
Old 01-10-2008, 06:02 PM
On The Tree

I have a nano so don't think that will work. I think I'm pretty set on outting it in the glove box.
Old 01-10-2008, 06:12 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Pizza King
I have a nano so don't think that will work. I think I'm pretty set on outting it in the glove box.
I have a nano and with the ash tray removal you don't see any wires or the Ipod..
Old 01-10-2008, 06:59 PM
On The Tree

Hm. So just pop that tray out? How hard is it to get the wire to that spot?
Old 01-10-2008, 07:05 PM
Staging Lane

Hm. So just pop that tray out? How hard is it to get the wire to that spot?
It is VERY easy, you can take out your deck and stick your hand in there and see your hand on the drivers side behind it. So what I did since it was easier was get my Ipod cable. Put it through the ashtray hole. And just put your fingers or hand under the console and feel for the wire. Take the wire and run it to where your deck goes, its very easy just put it where you stuck your hand through its a huge whole and connect it if you have any problems shoot me a PM. Btw it took me like 5 mins to do it..
Old 01-11-2008, 12:00 PM
On The Tree

Alright I'll give it shot on the weekend. I;m just worried by setting ipod there it will be a pain when i go to take it out of car.
Old 01-11-2008, 12:11 PM
Staging Lane

Alright I'll give it shot on the weekend. I;m just worried by setting ipod there it will be a pain when i go to take it out of car.
It's not a pain at all man, if yours is the smal mini like mine is..it takes about 15 seconds to get it out, unless you have huge hands.
Old 01-11-2008, 01:12 PM
TECH Resident

um why dont you just tap a small hole in that cubbie hole on the console my mini fits perfectly
Old 01-11-2008, 03:28 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by letsrun97z
um why dont you just tap a small hole in that cubbie hole on the console my mini fits perfectly
Bc then you can see the iPod =P
Old 01-11-2008, 06:59 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got a Sony HU with an iPod adapter and a Sirius radio. The iPod went in the glove box with no drilling and the cable is long enough so that it reaches the shifter area with no prob. Even with the iPod cable, and the Sirius power cord and antenna cable, the glove box closes with no prob. If you push in both sides of the glove box, it flips right down.
Old 01-11-2008, 07:29 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Cheap Guy
I've got a Sony HU with an iPod adapter and a Sirius radio. The iPod went in the glove box with no drilling and the cable is long enough so that it reaches the shifter area with no prob. Even with the iPod cable, and the Sirius power cord and antenna cable, the glove box closes with no prob. If you push in both sides of the glove box, it flips right down.
Right but then you have a long cable that you can see(when you bring it to your shifter area) also probably not the best thing to do to reach to your glove box and fiddle for your iPod while driving or trying to put it back up. If you want stealth with no wires or the Ipod not showing and having it 2 INCHES from your shifting area at all times without it being seen so all you do is flip the ashtray open and ta da theres your Ipod!